American Airlines is one of the best and preferable Airlines in the USA. It is headquartered in the region of Texas. American Airlines offers numerous online and offline services to provide passengers with quick and easy solutions to their queries. American Airlines operates with a fleet size of 1300 airplanes currently. American Airlines operates in 95 domestic and 95 international destinations.
Process for American Airlines Change Flight
American Airlines change flight process is a very systematic process to make relevant changes to existing flight reservations of passengers who choose to travel via American Airlines.
- Passengers can open the official URL of the website of American Airlines.
- Now click the option “My trips” to view the upcoming booking. You can use your name and the record locator option.
- In case a passenger logs in to his account the scheduled flight booking will appear in my trips column.
- Passengers can view the current trip from the list of trips, this facilitates you to either change the trip or cancel it depending on the need of the passenger.
- $75 is the change fee charged for any changes made on American Airlines.
- You can amend your travel booking and confirm the changes for the same.
- You will receive a confirmation email for a changed flight and canceled flight on your registered email address.
- Thus passengers can use the American Airlines change flight process to make any amendments to their travel itineraries easily and conveniently.
The Process to Reschedule a Flight Via American Airlines
A passenger may come across several key reasons to shift their travel plans to another date and reschedule and rebook the flight for a future date. The passengers can use the below steps to reschedule their flights on American Airlines.
- American Airlines change policy, facilitates passengers to reschedule their flight for this the passenger needs to search for the existing trip with the booking reference number. This number is also known as the record locator.
- Make a valid selection between change trip or cancel trip following the given on-screen instructions.
- All details related to the booking confirmation are mailed to the passengers.
- Make a note basic economy tickets cannot be changed as per the American airlines change policy.
- American Airlines charges a fee of $ 200 is charged to change a non-refundable ticket for a domestic flight and 750 for international destinations for a nonrefundable ticket.
American Airlines Flight Change Fee
As per the American Airlines Flight Change policy, a passenger does not have to pay for any changes made during the 24-hour risk-free period. Other than that:
On Domestic Flights
You can change these flight for free, except non-refundable and basic economy.
On International Flights
- Non-refundable tickets will be scaled as per the original fare and charged to your account.
- Basic economy tickets aren’t allowed any changes on international flights.
Same-day Flight Changes
- Refundable tickets are exempted from such charges.
- Other than those, a charge of $75 to $150 will be levied.
Table of American Airlines Change Fee
American Airlines Flight Change Fee
|Fare Type||Ticket Type||Destination||Timing of change|
|Short Haul||Long Haul||24-Hour Risk-Free||Same-Day|
|Non-Refundable||Basic Economy||Not Allowed||Not Allowed||Not Allowed||Free||Not Allowed|
|Main Cabin||Free||Scales according to ticket||Scales according to ticket||Free||$75-$150|
|Premium Economy||Free||Scales according to ticket||Scales according to ticket||Free||$75-$150|
|Business||Free||Scales according to ticket||Scales according to ticket||Free||$75-$150|
|First Class||Free||Scales according to ticket||Scales according to ticket||Free||$75-$150|
|Award||Free||Scales according to ticket||Scales according to ticket||Free||$75-$150|
Reasons for American Airlines Change Fee Waiver
American Airlines exercises the change fee waiver process for the following reasons:
- If a passenger selects American Airlines to travel.
- If a passenger has booked a ticket in any fare class such as business or economy class.
- If the passenger has purchased his ticket before 12th January’2021.
- If the passenger doesn’t change the departure and arrival destination.
- Passengers can rebook in the same category of the seat or pay a difference in the ticket price for changing the booking.
- The passenger can book an open ticket for a period of 1 year which has to be utilized for travel the same year.
Process for Same Day Flight Change in American Airlines
American Airline Same Day Flight change can be done in the following ways:
- American Airlines permits passengers to change their flight within 24 hours of departure for an American Airlines Change Fee which is 75 dollars for Economy Class.
- This fee is waived off for passengers traveling via the business class or who are enrolled in the club membership program offered by the airline.
- Passengers need to choose the flight for the same calendar day which matches the original flight ticket.
- Same-day flight change will not permit the passenger to travel via a flight on the previous night from the scheduled flight.
- Passenger cannot change the flight in such a manner that he needs to switch between airports.
- The fee for same-day flight change is 75 dollars per destination.
- Long haul flights cannot be considered for the same-day flight change. However, flight change will cost 150 dollars per destination.
- All passengers traveling via First or Business Class are eligible for American Airlines Same Day Flight Change free of cost.
- American Airlines Same Day flight change is useful when the passenger feels the need to prepone his travel plans on the same calendar date.
Seat Change Process on American Airlines
Seat change for American Airlines begins when a passenger browsers through the designated website of the airline.
- Passengers can click on the reservation section and then select the option of my trips.
- The passenger needs to enter the following details; first and last name of the passenger and booking reference id.
- A passenger needs to search his trip by clicking on the option “Search your Trip” given on the website.
- Now, choose your flight and click on the change seat option.
- This lists down the available seats and their prices.
- Make a valid selection and click on continue to confirm.
- This directs you to the payment gateway for making the payment of the seat.
- If you select a seat 24 hours prior to departure you need not pay a price for it.
- The passenger will receive the seat confirmation in a few hours from the time of booking.
Ticket Change Process
American Airlines Ticket Change Process is as follows:
- Passengers need to login into the reservation section of American Airlines.
- Passengers need to select “My trips/Check-in”. This reflects on the home screen of the website.
- Now click on the option Search reservations.
- The passenger needs a booking reference id to retrieve their reservation.
- Now click on the button, change the trip option.
- This assists you to modify your reservation and select a new flight by paying the variance of the ticket price.
How to Change Passengers’ Names on American Airlines?
The passenger needs to log in on the official website with the available Reference Id This will help the passenger to make valid changes to the departure information of the passenger.
Passengers can also call the American Airlines Reservations number at 1-800-548-3192 to carry out the American Airlines Name Change process on the ticket.
American Airline Change Policies:
American Airlines Change Policy refers to permitting passengers to make a valid change to their travel itinerary only once. Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, no American Airlines Change fee is charged during the process of change. A passenger is free to rebook the flight in the future whenever his travel plans are ready. A passenger needs to keep in mind that a ticket price difference needs to be paid when you rebook the trip.
American Airlines Change Flight Policy for Non-Refundable Tickets
Except for basic economy tickets, non-refundable fares are free one time on domestic flights. In case of international flights, charges will be calculated as per the ticket price.
American Airlines Flight Change Policy for Refundable Tickets
Refundable fares are free to change throughout. Although a fare difference may apply.
Other than basic economy, you can purchase a refundable fare of every fare type.
American Airlines Flight Change Policy—Award Tickets
American Airlines offer the same policy to award tickets. Other than basic economy, every other award ticket is changeable. And that too for free.
American Airlines Flight Change Policy for Long-Haul International Tickets
Passengers on a long haul international flight are free to change the itinerary free of cost. However, basic economy is exempt from this, and the flight must originate within the States or South America.
Policy for Change on American Airlines Domestic and Short-haul International Flights
Likewise, passengers on a domestic flight within the United States and any short-haul international flight originating from there can change the flight for free. However, basic economy is an exception.
Flight Change Process for Different Classes:
Flight Change Process for Economy Class
- A passenger needs to login into the official website of American Airlines through their designated browser.
- Now click on the reservation section given on the website.
- Now click on my trips option.
- Now enter the booking reference id and last name.
- Click on the option to change trips.
- Make a note Basic Economy Tickets can only be changed in the first 24 hours after the flight was originally booked.
- American Airlines doesn’t allow you to make any changes to basic economy tickets post the 24-hour period is over.
Flight Change Process for Business Class Travelers
- A passenger traveling on Business Class can log in to the website of American Airlines.
- Now he should select the reservations tab from the website.
- Now my trip option needs to be clicked.
- Enter your surname and the booking id.
- Click the button saying Change your trip/travel.
- They can use travel miles offered by the airline and change up to 48 hours prior to departure.
- This change in the booking is free of cost for all passengers traveling by Business Class of American Airlines.
Flight Change Process for First Class Travelers
- Passengers can logon to the official website of American Airlines.
- Passengers need to furbish their booking reference id and last name to search the reservation.
- Once the reservation is visible on the screen, the change trip option can be selected.
- Passengers can utilize the link to upgrade seats when seats are available in a higher category.
- The passenger can also call the elite service desk to upgrade the seat.
- A passenger can use the Airport Kiosk and swipe his credit card to change the flight based on availability.
- The change fee will be automatically charged on the passenger’s credit card.
- Passengers need to confirm the changes and print a new boarding pass.
- Passengers can connect with the airline representative on call to make the relevant changes on the flight.
- The flight can be chosen from the list which displays all flights scheduled to depart within the following 12 hours.
- Here a change fee is applicable. However, for a first-class traveler, all change fees are automatically waived off.
- A person can request a boarding pass if the representative doesn’t offer one.
- This way American Airlines Change Flight process is carried out for different classes of travel.
Method to Change American Airlines Flight Without a fee
Passengers can change the American Airline Flight without a fee by ensuring they amend their travel itineraries within 24 hours of booking the flight. In special circumstances such as the death of an immediate family member, travel companion, the airline doesn’t charge an American Airline change fee and refunds the complete value of the ticket to the passenger traveling.
Flight Change Number for American Airlines
Passengers can connect with our Travel Team support so that the team can assist passengers to make valid changes to the American Airlines Flight Reservations. American Airlines Flight Change Number 1-800-548-3192 . For a change related query, passengers can connect with this number.
American Airlines Change in Flight Date:
American Airlines Flight Date can be rescheduled or a new date can be chosen by amending the existing reservation. The passenger can open his reservation on his web browser and carry out a reservation search through the booking reference id and last name of the passenger. Once the reservation is visible, the passenger can choose the change trip option and select a new date to book a new flight. Similar steps can be followed after the passenger has canceled the existing reservation. This way American Airlines flight date change can be processed easily.
Conclusion: The central idea of the article focuses on American Airlines change flight policy, it facilitates passengers to know about the flight change policy of American Airlines in detail. It highlights the role different support channels play in assisting passengers to amend their travel itinerary. American airlines permit passengers to amend their flight bookings at each step in a systematic manner. This article serves as a guiding tool for passengers to amend their flight bookings in an easy and smooth manner.
No More Change Fees on American Airlines
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Does American Airlines offer Flight change service free of cost?
Ans. The American airlines allow the passenger to change their flight free of cost. This means no change fee is charged from the passenger. However, the passenger is expected to pay the variance of the flight ticket price. Whenever he plans to rebook the flight.
2. Are any changes possible after you have booked with American Airlines?
Ans. Like other airlines, American airlines change flight policy, permits passengers to amend their travel itinerary within 24 hours of booking the original flight. This amendment is also possible till 24 hours before the scheduled departure. The applicable charges may apply.
3. What is a more economical option, changing the flight or canceling it on American Airlines?
Ans. If passengers want to utilize the complete value of the flight ticket they can choose to change their flight this facilitates them to receive a flight credit if the new flight is more economical than the original flight ticket. This credit can be used to plan a trip in the future. If the new ticket is expensive the person will have to pay a ticket price variance.
4. Can a passenger change basic economy tickets on American Airlines?
Ans. The basic economy ticket can be changed only during the first 24 hours of the ticket being purchased, the basic economy ticket cannot be changed under any circumstances once the risk-free cancelation period is over.
5. When a passenger changes a nonrefundable ticket on American Airlines does he receive anything in return?
Ans. Under normal circumstances, no refund is processed for a nonrefundable ticket, after the risk-free cancelation period is over. American airlines consider humanitarian circumstances such as a death in the immediate family, death of the travel companion, cancelation of flights due to military orders.
6. What is the process to seek a refund from American Airlines?
Ans. To seek a refund from the American Airlines, the passengers can raise an online request on their website the refund will be processed accordingly.
7. How does a passenger find that his ticket is refundable or not?
Ans. While booking the ticket the category of the ticket whether refundable or not is mentioned in the terms and conditions of the American airlines policy. This allows the passengers to validate whether their ticket is refundable or not.
8. What is the best way to amend American Airlines Flight Reservation?
Ans. The passenger can login into the manage booking section, now the passenger is required to choose the booking which requires amendment. Both reference id and passenger’s last title to retrieve the booking information. You can click on change my trip button to amend the booking.
9. What do you mean by Same-day flight change service for American Airlines?
Ans. According to this service, passengers can choose to amend their travel booking on the same day of departure; you can choose a new flight on American Airlines, based on the seat availability. It also facilitates you to opt for an earlier flight for your travel.
10. Can you change your itinerary under the extended hold period for American airlines?
Ans. The extended hold period does not allow passengers to make a change in the reservation with this feature. You can only cancel the tickets and book a new trip in the near future.
11. How to Change American Airlines flights booked with points?
Ans. You can use the Manage Booking to change these flights. As per the American Airlines Change Flight policy, there is zero cost on doing so.
12. How late can I change a flight to American Airlines?
Ans. The latest you can change a flight is 2 hours before departure.
13. Can I reschedule my American Airlines flight?
Ans. Yes, you are free to reschedule your American Airlines flight.
14. Can I change my flight departure date on American Airlines?
Ans. Yes, however a fare difference may apply.
15. What’s the New American Airlines Flight Change Policy?
Ans. As per the new policy, the airline has abolished most cancel and change fees.
16. Can I Change My Flight Destination on American Airlines?
Ans. Passengers are allowed to make several modifications to their itinerary, one such change is the change in destination.
17. What to do If American Airlines Changed My Flight?
Ans. In the case where the airline is responsible for a rescheduling, you can claim a refund regardless of your fare type.
18. Can I Change My Return Flight Date on American Airlines?
Ans. Passengers can change their return flights as it also falls within the flight change policy.