Should you check your bag or bring it with you? Spend a few minutes learning what you can and can’t do with delta airlines add-on baggage. If you want to avoid taking your bag with you, it’s easy to check it.
Delta lets each passenger bring one carry-on bag and one personal item for free. Whatever you need to store under the seat in front of you, be it a purse, laptop bag, or anything else. If you want to bring roll-aboard luggage or a big bag to put in the overhead bin, you can find size information; go to the note at the bottom. You don’t have to check your carry-on bag if you’re travelling with a baby in your arms or a pet in the cabin.
Delta Carry on Policy
If your bag doesn’t fit or there isn’t enough room in the overhead bins because the flight is full, a flight worker or gate agent can help you by checking your bags at the gate.
Passengers on Delta Connection flights, even those with 50 seats or less, can only bring personal items on board because there is little room in the overhead bins. Personal things must fit safely under the passenger’s seat or in the overhead bins. When flights are at capacity, passengers may be required to check their carry-on luggage at the gate for free and retrieve them upon deplaning. Please ensure the carry-on item has a pink Gate Claim/Planeside tag firmly attached. This rule does not apply to gadgets that help people.
If you need rules like knitting needles or razors that could be dangerous or unusual, please check with the TSA; it opens a new window.
Their SkyTeam and codeshare partners may have different rules and limits for certain flights, so check before you check-in.
What Can You Pack in Your Delta Carry-On Bag?
When you travel, you can bring many things in your Delta add-on baggage and personal item. However, there are some things that you can’t get for your safety. Most countries limit the size of containers that hold liquids, gels, aerosols, and pastes, even if they are only partly full. Pack beforehand and put drinks bigger than a bottle in your checked bags.
- You can only bring 3.4 ounces or 100 millilitres of liquids, gels, sprays, and pastes.
- Put everything in a clear plastic quart-size bag with a zip-top.
- You must remove your quart-size bag and put it in a bin at security.
- Liquids, gels, sprays, and pastes include drinks, creams, hair gel, hair spray, shampoo, suntan lotions, toothpaste, and anything else with a similar consistency. The TSA usually makes special arrangements for things you need, like medicine, breast milk, and juice or formula for babies. These things can get a special screening for your comfort.
Bringing Something Duty-Free In Delta Flight
Some countries have a programme that lets you buy duty-free things. The vendor will put these items in special bags and seal them up. You can then move within that country or region with your item in your hands or your carry-on.
If your journey takes you through a security check-in in a country that recognizes the same programme, you may be unable to put the item in your checked luggage. It may be taken away if you can’t put the thing in your checked bag.
Specific guidelines can be found on the websites of the U.S. Transportation Security Administration, the United Kingdom’s Department of Transport, and the European Commission.
Delta Excess & Overweight Baggage:
If you have one or two bags, or even three to ten, check the rules to see if there are any fees. Keep in mind that there are different fees for each size, weight, or quantity limit that a bag goes over. Check delta airlines extra baggage policy for things that are different in size, shape, or weight. Active Military and Medallion Members may be exempt from this rule.
Delta Airlines Excess Baggage Guidelines:
Follow the rules for checked bags to make sure they meet the standards. If they don’t, you might have to pay extra for them. To prevent your suitcase, measure its length, width, and height in inches or centimetres.
- Each passenger is allowed ten checked baggage on Delta or Delta Shuttle flights.
- On Delta Connection® flights, you can check up to four bags.
- We might have to limit the extra luggage if it keeps us from letting each person bring up to two bags.
- Visit our Baggage Embargoes and Limitations page to learn more about what you can and can’t bring when you check your bags.
- Delta Connection movers will take extra luggage if there is room. If the bags can’t go with you on the same trip, they will go on the next flight with room.
- Those in the television broadcasting industry or in the film industry at large may donate cameras, lights, videotapes, film, and sound equipment. Check out the media kits for further information.
- Any bags bigger, heavier, or more than the number of pieces allowed by the ticket are taken on a standby basis.
- Large or heavy bags incur additional fees since they require special handling.
Overage costs vary depending on whether you exceed the size, weight, or quantity restrictions. For example, if an extra piece of luggage is too heavy or too big, it will have to pay three fees: one for being an extra bag, one for being too heavy, and one for being too big. You have to pay a fee for each additional bag and each way.
Some places may also have other rules. Please look over the list below. All fees mentioned below are up-to-date and apply to all tickets bought today or after, as long as Delta’s baggage rules are in effect. If you purchased your ticket before our standard checked luggage fees went into effect, you can find more information about the Excess & Overweight Baggage Policy by contacting Delta customer service.
Baggage & Travel Fees:
Delta wants its customers to feel confident and well-prepared before, during, and after their trips by providing comprehensive baggage policies and procedures. You can check in and tell Delta how many bags you will check on delta.com or the Fly Delta app up to 24 hours before your flight. You can leave your bags at Baggage Drop if you’ve already checked in. You can also check in at the airport and pay for bags there.
Fees for most checked bags:
For people flying within the United States in a Main Cabin or Delta Comfort+® seat without a Delta SkyMiles® American Express Card, Medallion Status, or Active Military status:
- USD 30 Fee for delta airlines add-on baggage for your first standard add-on bag that weighs less than 50 pounds (23 kg) each way. Free checked bag and one free personal item per passenger.
- USD 40 For your second standard bag that weighs less than 50 pounds (23 kg), each way
- When you add the length, width, and height, your bag can’t be over 62 inches (158 cm).
- Visit Carry-On Baggage to learn how big carry-on bags can be and what they must meet.
- The first standard checked bag is free for Delta SkyMiles Medallion Members and Delta SkyMiles® American Express Card Members.
- Each checked bag’s price by the route and fare class.
- United States customers who check in on Delta.com, the Fly Delta app, or an airport kiosk can use miles to pay for checked luggage at most airports.