When you book your flight through JetBlue Airlines, it is important that you acquaint yourself well with the policies of Jetblue. One of the most important policies of JetBlue airlines is the cancellation policy. Cancellation policy is all about what are the processes and procedures that people are required to go through if they want to cancel their flight.
Key Features of JetBlue cancellation policy:
Here are some of the features of the JetBlue cancellation policy which you must know before you make up your mind to cancel your flight reservation.
- Passengers are permitted to cancel their tickets online or offline and claim a refund if they are eligible to receive it according to the JetBlue Airlines refund policy. However, the refund amount depends on the fare type.
- In case of non-refundable tickets, as per JetBlue non-refundable policy, a passenger can only get taxes as a refund. The rest of the travel funds will be forfeited.
- Also, if a refund is made for non-refundable fares, it will be in the form of future travel credits. In accordance with the JetBlue non-refundable policy, this credit will be valid for 1 year.
- You can’t claim a refund for this credit.
- However, if a passenger cancels a refundable ticket he will get a refund through the original mode of payment. Even if he gets travel credits, he can request a refund from JetBlue as per the JetBlue refund policy.
- The airline also charges a Jetblue cancellation fee irrespective of the fare type and service class. This fee will be applicable on refundable and non-refundable tickets too.
- However, a passenger can cancel a flight within 24 hours of booking without paying any cancellation fee as per the JetBlue 24 hours cancellation policy. As per the 24 hours cancellation policy, after cancelling the flight, the passenger will also get a full refund. But there should be a difference of seven days or more between the time when booking is made and flight departure.
- Also, the flights should originate or head to the US for the JetBlue Airlines 24 hours cancellation policy to be effective.
- The airline also allows exemptions to the JetBlue cancellation policy due to special situations. For example: In case of a sudden illness, if the passenger is unfit to fly as per the doctor’s instructions, if he is hospitalised or in a critical accident, there is no need to pay the cancellation fee, and he can claim a full refund on his cancelled flight regardless of the fare rules as per the JetBlue Airlines cancellation policy.
- In case when a passenger cancels a flight due to bad weather he can claim a full refund without worrying about the fare type. No JetBlue cancellation fee will be charged, and the passenger can request a refund for the unused portion as per the JetBlue refund policy.
- Mosaic reward members can also cancel a flight, but they will have to pay the JetBlue award cancellation fee if they are cancelling a non-refundable ticket. Also, they can only claim travel credits as refunds as per the JetBlue refund policy.
JetBlue 24 Hour cancellation Policy
JetBlue has to adhere to the United States Department of Transportations and provide a risk-free period of 24 hours, where a passenger can cancel or change a flight for free while claiming a full refund. This is popularly known as the JetBlue 24 hours cancellation policy. However, the passenger will have to ensure that the booking and his scheduled flight departure must have a gap of more than seven days. Otherwise, a normal cancellation policy will apply.
JetBlue 24 hours cancellation policy also dictates the following:
- The JetBlue 24 hours cancellation policy is not applicable to JetBlue vacation packages.
- You can’t make multiple changes within the risk-free period. If you have already altered a flight, the next time you attempt a change or cancellation, you will incur regular charges as per the fare rules of JetBlue 24 hours cancellation policy.
- Any refunds made within this time frame will be reverted to the original source of payment. You do not have to worry about the fare types. Also, such refunds will only take 7-10 days to reach you.
- You can’t apply this policy to group bookings, a group booking consists of more than 9 passengers, and it falls under the JetBlue Group cancellation policy.
- You can perform cancellations both online and offline under the JetBlue 24 hours cancellation policy.
JetBlue Cancellation Policy for Mosaic Members
As per the JetBlue cancellation policy guidelines, Mosaic members also have to follow the normal cancellation policy. As such they will have to pay the JetBlue cancellation fee for non-refundable tickets and are exempted in case of refundable fares.
Also, any refund for non-refundable tickets will be in the form of travel credits and the refund for refundable tickets will be in the form of the original mode of payment as per the JetBlue refund policy. Cancellation fee and refund are separate issues.
JetBlue Cancellation Policy for Award Tickets
JetBlue Award tickets follow the normal JetBlue cancellation policy. As such a non-refundable award ticket will be charged a fee and only merit partial refund. While a refundable award ticket will get a full refund at zero cancellation charges.
JetBlue Cancellation Policy for Government or Military Personnel
Any JetBlue flight cancellation which happens due to a military order or government policy will result in a full refund and no JetBlue cancellation fee will be charged from the passengers. However, it is subject to the availability and applicable difference in fare. If the person is holding a fully JetBlue refundable ticket, he will get a refund easily. In case of a non-refundable ticket, the person will get refunds but as travel credits for future use. Although, the airline can permit you to request a refund against these credits in accordance with the JetBlue refund policy.
JetBlue Airlines Cancellation Policy for Bad Weather
Weather is beyond anyone’s control. Hence, any delays due to bad weather conditions fall under unforeseen or uncontrollable reasons for JetBlue Flight cancellations. Here is the policy for coping with cancellations due to weather.
- The airline will allow passengers to cancel the flights free of cost. This means that no JetBlue cancellation fees will be charged from them.
- These cancellations can be processed both online and offline.
- The airline will offer a full refund under these circumstances.
- However, you can’t rebook a flight after cancelling it due to weather conditions. You will have to create a new itinerary.
JetBlue Cancellation Policy Due to Death
If the passenger holding the ticket suddenly passes away, a refund will be made through the original source of payment at the request of the immediate family. However, the request must be made alongside valid documentation proving the death. The death certificate must also be submitted within 24 days of such cancellation as per the JetBlue Airlines cancellation policy.
However, if there is a death of a close family member, the passenger can also cancel the ticket for free and claim full refund.
Furthermore, the passenger is required to submit documents like a death certificate, obituary and or funeral arrangement.
JetBlue Cancellation Policy Due to Illness
As per the JetBlue cancellation policy, you are allowed to cancel flight due to sudden illness. You can claim a full refund and cancel the flight without paying the JetBlue cancellation fee. You have to provide the necessary documents and claim the refund under special consideration as per the JetBlue cancellation policy.
JetBlue Airlines Cancellation Policy for Cancelled Flight
JetBlue cancels the flight due to controllable or uncontrollable reasons. In such cases, the passengers are not only entitled to receive a full refund on any ticket type without wondering about the fare rules, but are also entitled to receive compensation if the situation allows.
As per the JetBlue cancellation policy, you can also get the below-mentioned benefits:
- The airline will offer free rebooking on the next available scheduled flight departure.
- You will receive a refund as future travel credits as per the JetBlue refund policy, but you can request the airline to revert it to the source of original mode of payment.
- The airline will automatically offer a refund to the original mode of payment if the offered alternate flight was also late and that too within 4 hours.
- Lastly, the passengers also have the right to claim compensation if they are eligible to receive it.
Process to cancel the JetBlue flight reservation
Hence, a traveler who is completely aware of how things work at JetBlue, can simply cancel a flight, with a full refund, in mere minutes using Manage Booking. Let’s go ahead and know how to cancel the flight as per the JetBlue cancellation policy and get a refund.
- First, the passenger needs to open the official website for JetBlue.
- Simply type www.jetblue.com in the address bar of your web browsers and hit enter.
- Now, those who have a TrueBlue account have to log in using their credentials as JetBlue Cancellations are much easier via the account. However, you can also continue as a guest.
- Then, click on Manage Trips at the top of the screen and wait for the page to load.
- After that, you are required to fill in your flight details.
- If you continue as a guest, you need to keep your six-digit confirmation number ready.
- You will also need to enter the passenger’s last name.
- But if you continue as a TrueBlue member, then you have to continue with the steps detailed below.
- Now, you can see multiple tabs, such as Upcoming Travel, Check in Online and Check Flight Status. Click on Upcoming Travel and JetBlue cancel flight.
- Once you have selected the flight to cancel it, click on Manage Flight and scroll down.
- Here, all of your flight information will be listed. Furthermore, you will see some other options as well like:
Get Boarding Pass
Update Traveler Details
Add Travel Extra
- Select Cancel Itinerary.
- Now, the website will give you a review of how much refund you will get and will it be in the form of travel credits or original source.
- Remember that only refundable fares will receive a refund as the original source of payment. Non-refundable will only get credits for future use as per the JetBlue non-refundable policy.
- You should also confirm the fee applied for JetBlue Cancellations.
JetBlue Airlines Cancellation Fee
|Fare Type||Ticket Type||Amount|
|Non-Refundable||Blue Basic (within US, Mexico, Central America)||$100|
|Non-Refundable||Blue Basic (other routes)||$200|
There are a few things which you need to note:
- Refundable tickets scale according to fare type.
- If you cancel your flight over a phone call, it will cost $25 and at the airport will cost $50 more.
JetBlue Flight Cancellations with Phone Number
Passengers have the option to approach JetBlue Flight Cancellations over a phone call also. It is still one of the most popular methods to cancel a flight, as there are many who need live and immediate assistance. In order to proceed with such cancellations, you have to follow certain steps, such as:
- Give a call on the JetBlue customer care services at the number provided: 1-805-JETBLUE (1-800-548-3192).
- Then, you are supposed to follow the on-call instructions and wait to be connected to an airline representative.
- Now, request the agent to cancel your flight and give him the necessary details of your booking.
- Lastly, make sure of your refund amount and the cancellation fee, if charged.
Cancel Flight on JetBlue Using the Mobile App
JetBlue Flight Cancellations can also be done through the official app. The rules of the JetBlue cancellation policy will be applicable. The passenger has to access the mobile app store to download the app and use the Manage Booking feature available on the app to cancel the flight reservation. In order to JetBlue cancel flight through the mobile application, one has to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- You have to start by downloading the actual official JetBlue app for your device.
For this, you can visit Google Play or Apple App Store.
- After the app is installed, login to your TrueBlue account and click on Manage Trips.
- Then look up the existing flight under the Upcoming travel section and select your booking.
- After you bring up the flight details, select Cancel Itinerary. After this your flight ticket will be cancelled.
JetBlue Flight Cancellation at the Airport
You also have the option to cancel a flight by going to the airport. Although it can seem troublesome as you have to wait in line, it is still a possibility, as many use it in emergencies. The process remains quite simple as you have to visit the ticketing counter and request JetBlue Cancellations team to cancel your flight in accordance with the JetBlue cancellation policy. After that, you must provide the necessary information pertaining to your booking. You also have to then make sure of your refund amount.
How to reschedule or rebook your JetBlue flights?
If you want to rebook or reschedule your JetBlue flight, then for that you will have to go to the official website of the airlines and tap on the “manage trips” option. After this, you have to follow the on screen instructions . You can also rebook or reschedule by contacting JetBlue in order to rebook effortlessly. For this, you have to keep certain details ready like confirmation number, flight number, Date(s) of travel, and personal information that includes full name, date of birth, contact information, etc.
JetBlue Refund Policy
According to the JetBlue refund policy, the airline offers a refund depending on your fare, if you have booked a refundable ticket. In this case, you can cancel your ticket any time till the date of departure and get a complete refund in the original form of payment.
If you booked a non-refundable ticket and made a cancellation then according to the JetBlue non-refundable policy, you will get the refund in the form of e-credit and a certain amount of the cancellation fee will be deducted from the original fare.
Irrespective of the ticket fares one can get a complete refund in the original form of payment if they cancel their ticket within 24 hours from the point of booking as per the JetBlue 24 hours cancellation policy.
Talking about the cancellation fees, the charges are $100-$200 in case of Blue Basic fares. There are no cancellation fees in case of all other fares. This is for non refundable tickets. For refundable tickets, there are no cancellation charges.
Things You Should do Before Requesting the Refund
Here are some points which you need to keep in mind before getting your refund request processed:
- A valid refund will be made automatically.
However, it can be done as original payment or future travel credit as per the JetBlue refund policy.
- If you purchase a refundable ticket, you can get the refund in the original payment.
- Even if you get travel credits, you can request a refund against them according to the JetBlue refund policy.
- But non-refundable tickets will only get travel credits that can’t be refunded.
- You can also request a refund if JetBlue cancelled flights.
How to Request a JetBlue Refund online?
You have to follow the steps mentioned here to claim your refund:
- First, passengers should visit the JetBlue official website.
- Then, use the TrueBlue account credentials to log in.
- Now, go to the Manage Trips section and select Cancelled Flights.
- After that, click on the flight you want to claim a refund for.
- Here, scroll down and select Request A Refund.
- Then proceed to fill in the request form and submit it.
Offline Method to claim refund With Jetblue
The offline method is to call the customer care representative to request a refund. Here’s how you can do it:
- First, give a call to the airline.
- Then, follow the instructions and you will be connected to the representative.
- Now request a refund against your cancelled flight.
- Provide the flight details.
- If you are eligible as per the JetBlue Airlines refund policy, then you will be refunded within 2 weeks.
Ticket Types and Refund Eligibility
The airline offers 5 different types of tickets under two fare types, refundable and non-refundable. A passenger can combine the ticket types and fare types and any cancellation and refund will be met accordingly.
In case of cancellation, everything except Blue Basic is eligible to be cancelled. Hence, you will get a full refund for all four ticket types no matter if it’s non-refundable or refundable. But such refunds will only be in the form of future travel credits as per the JetBlue refund policy. And you can’t request the airline to give you a refund in the original mode against such credits.
If you want cash refunds then you will have to buy refundable tickets for that. Every ticket type is originally a non-refundable one unless you pay the extra add-on fee to make them refundable.
|Fare Type||Ticket Type||Cancellation Fee||Refund Amount||Mode of Refund|
|Non-refundable||Blue Basic||$100-$200||Non-refundable||Travel Credit|
|Non-refundable||Blue||Free||Full refund||Travel Credit|
|Non-refundable||Blue Plus||Free||Full refund||Travel Credit|
|Non-refundable||Blue Extra||Free||Full refund||Travel Credit|
|Non-refundable||Blue Mint||Free||Full refund||Travel Credit|
|Refundable||Blue||Free||Full refund||Cash Refund|
|Refundable||Blue Plus||Free||Full refund||Cash Refund|
|Refundable||Blue Extra||Free||Full refund||Cash Refund|
|Refundable||Blue Mint||Free||Full refund||Cash Refund|
How to Check JetBlue Airlines Refund Status?
You just have to simply log in to the JetBlue airline TrueBlue account to track your refund status. However we recommend using the email or phone call to check your Airline’s refund status.
JetBlue Cancellation Compensation
You don’t have to request compensation from JetBlue. If you are eligible, then the airline will automatically offer compensation within 7 working days from scheduled flight departure. But, the amount varies.
If JetBlue cancels the flight, then within 4 hours, the charges will be $150 and after the departure of the flight, the charges will be $200.
JetBlue Delayed Compensation
If the flight was delayed by the airline, then you can ask for compensation.
According to the US guidelines, compensation as per the delayed duration is as follows:
|Compensation for when JetBlue cancels a flight|
|Time of cancellation||Amount|
|Within 4 hours||$150|
According to the EU Regulations, compensation as per the distance covered is as follows:
|As per US Guidelines||As per EU Regulations|
|Delay Duration||Amount||Distance Covered||Amount|
|Between 3 and 4 Hours||$50||Less than 1500 Km||£250|
|Between 4 and 5 Hours||$100||Over 1500 Km within EU||£400|
|Between 5 and 6 Hours||$150||Between 1500 and 3500 Km||£400|
|More than 6 Hours||$200||More than 3500 Km||£600|
How to Use JetBlue Travel Bank Credit?
You can make use of your travel bank credits while booking a JetBlue flight ticket.
There will be an option on the screen that directs you to your JetBlue travel credit while making the payment.
You can access the travel credit bank and then apply the number of funds that you want to use for your current booking.
In order to utilise the funds, you should have the login credentials of TrueBlue or a travel bank.
This was all about the JetBlue cancellation policy. We hope that this article was successful in making everything clear to you about the JetBlue cancellation policy. In case you still have any doubt, you can visit the official website of the airline or you also have the option to get in touch with the customer support team of the airline and get their help to understand the JetBlue cancellation policy.
JetBlue Flight Cancellations Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes!! you can get a refund after canceling your JetBlue Flight.
However, this involves the type of ticket you purchased. if you have purchased a refundable ticket you will get a complete refund
You can also get a complete refund if you cancel your ticket within 24 hours of the time of booking.
Yes, both refundable and nonrefundable ticket types can cancel their ticket however a blue basic is exceptional as it is not eligible for cancellation
Usually, the airlines will not cancel the flight unless they are facing some critical problems like bad weather or technical problem
You can cancel the flight booked with points but to get the refund you should pay a certain cancellation fee.
From the time of refund request, the airline may take 20 days in order to complete refunds that are paid through credit card, cash, or check.
You can cancel the JetBlue flight without penalty in three cases
By 24-hour cancellation policy
By purchasing a refundable ticket
By being a part of the mosaic group
JetBlue has a 24-hour cancellation policy by which one can cancel their ticket within 24 hours and get a complete refund without paying a single penny for cancellation
If you cancel a refundable ticket you will get a full refund and no cancellation fee will be charged. If you cancel a non-refundable ticket, you will be charged a fee and the refund will be made as travel credits.
JetBlue has made both changing and cancelling a flight free on most fares.
You are free to cancel a ticket as long it’s before departure.
You won’t. Blue Basic is the only ticket that doesn’t qualify for a refund.
JetBlue Blue fare is a standard ticket while Blue extra is a flex one.
If you cancel a flight within the 24 hours risk-free period, or you are holding a refundable ticket, you won’t incur charges.
There are times when the airline waives the cancellation fee. Such as special circumstances like death or illness. It also waives the fee due to military or government orders.
You can visit the JetBlue website and enter the flight details to check your current flight status.
Yes, the airline offers alternate flight, accommodations, transportation and compensation in case of an airline initiated cancellation.
You will automatically receive compensation if you qualify, all you have to do is request one.
JetBlue travel credit has a validity of 1 year
Only Blue Basic tickets are charged upon cancellation that too $100 to $200.
In case if you purchased a refundable ticket, you will get your travel funds in full.