KLM Royal Dutch Airlines is the flag carrier of the Netherlands. Headquartered at Amstelveen, it is a part of the Air France-KLM group and member of the SkyTeam airline alliance. It has a rich heritage as it was founded back in 1919, KLM is undoubtedly the oldest operating airline in the world. The airline carries a fleet of 110 carriers and employs around, 35000 personnel. Today we will be looking into KLM flight cancellation, the process and policies involved, KLM compensations and rebooking as well as its refund procedure.
How to Cancel KLM Flight?
Cancelling a KLM flight is an easy task if you are familiar with the Manage Booking service. As it allows passengers to reserve a trip, in minutes. On the other hand, it also empowers travelers in cancellations. KLM cancellation policy states that any flight can be cancelled if directly booked by KLM using the following methods:
KLM Cancel Flight Online via Website
KLM cancel flight online with the help of official website:
- First go to the KLM website in your web browsers.
- Then, click on the My Trip tab on the home page.
- Now you can search for your prebooked flight by using the following information:
- The six-digit flight booking code found on the itinerary that was mailed to you and the passenger’s last name.
- Or you can log into the KLM rewards program – The Flying Blue account.
- After you have successfully entered the information, click on the search button and wait for the result.
- On the new page, you can view your flight. Click on it.
- Locate the Cancel My Flight link and select it.
- After that, you will be redirected to the confirmation page.
- Here you will be informed about the refund you are entitled to.
- Remember that the refund amount and type depends on the fare type and destination. It can directly revert to the original source, or you can receive it as vouchers. But the process is automated.
- However, if you have doubts regarding the refund process, then you can separately initiate a refund request by logging into your Flying Blue account. (We have covered this topic later in the article)
- The various processing and cancellation fees will apply as per the situation.
- Once you have confirmed everything, click on Proceed to cancel your flight.
KLM Flight Cancellation at the Airport
Cancellation on an airport is also feasible. Although it is more like a last minute approach, you can still go to the KLM counter and request the representative to initiate cancellation. Produce the necessary documents and pay the cancellation fee, and you are done.
KLM Flight Cancellation by Phone
KLM cancel flight over the phone is still one of the most popular methods available as it consists of a constant human assistance. All you need to do is:
- First, call KLM customer care at the 24/7 available toll free number: 1 800-548-3192.
- Then follow the on-call instructions and wait to be connected to a representative.
- After that, inform the rep of your cancellation issue and provide the necessary documents.
- The representative will initiate cancellation and the refund procedures after subtracting a cancellation fee, if applicable.
What is the KLM Cancellation Policy?
KLM flight cancellation adheres to a stringent policy that dictates any and all scenarios under cancellation. It states that:
Any cancellation to and or from the US within 24 hours of initial booking will not be subject to a fee, given the ticket was purchased directly from KLM.
- Also, the 24 hours policy applies to all types of tickets.
- If KLM cancelled your flight, you won’t be charged a fee, and you may be eligible for compensation.
- The same goes for rescheduled or delayed flights.
- As per the policy, only refundable tickets are eligible for a refund (even after 24 hours of booking.)
- If you cancel a flight that was headed to Europe due to a delay of more than 90 minutes, given that your connecting flights are on the same day, you don’t have to pay any cancellation fee.
- In case of a passenger’s death, the airline won’t charge any fee.
- If you were denied VISA, you won’t have to pay cancellation fee.
- You can change the travel date before 30 days of scheduled departure for free.
- In case of an airline-initiated cancellation, the rebooking will be free of cost.
24-Hour KLM Cancellation Policy
In compliance with the US Department of Transportation, the KLM cancellation policy states that any flight to and or from the US is subject to:
- A full refund, regardless of the fare type, if the cancellation was done within 24 hours of booking.
- However, the flight ticket must be purchased directly from KLM.
KLM Flight Cancellation Policy During COVID-19
As per the COVID directives: Flights with a departure date by December 31, 2021, are subject to free cancellations and or changes. However, only travel vouchers may be issues as refund. Furthermore, flights after 1 January 2022 can be changed for free, but no refunds will be processed without merit.
KLM Flight Cancellation Fees
KLM flight cancellation states that refundable flights won’t be subject to a fee. Also, any cancellation done within 24 hours of booking will be free of cost, regardless of the ticket type. But outside these conditions, a cancellation can cost you anywhere between $100 to $400 per head.
KLM Flight Rebooking
KLM flight rebooking options vary according to situations:
- If traveling to a country with travel ban:
- You can rebook a flight for free, but within the same fare class.
- However, you can upgrade by paying extra.
- But rebooking before or after 30 days of original booking can cost you a difference in fare.
- You can also change destinations during rebooking for a cost.
- Instead of rebooking, you can ask for a refund.
- However, the refund will be in the form of a voucher with an expiration date valid only on KLM or partner flights.
- If the flight was cancelled by KLM:
- You are free to change travel dates.
- Rebooking will be free.
- You are eligible for compensation regardless of rebooking.
- You can also ask for a refund if you do not want to rebook.
- However, the refund will be in the form of a voucher. But you can fill out a request form to convert the voucher into cash refund.
- If you want to postpone your trip:
- You can only use Manage Booking to change flight.
- And you must change it before scheduled departure.
- If you booked a flight on or before 31 December 2021:
- You can change/cancel your flight for free.
- You can also ask for a refund in the form of a voucher with 1 year expiry.
- If you booked a flight after 1 January 2022:
- Although change and cancellation would still be free, you can no longer request a refund if the fare type doesn’t allow for one.
How to Rebook KLM Cancelled Flights?
You can rebook your flights only after cancellation. There are numerous ways to do so, including the following:
- Using Manage Booking via website
- Doing it through the KLM official app
- By calling the customer care representative
- Contacting the airline on Social media
- Visiting the nearest KLM ticketing counter
- Or by contacting your travel agent.
- The entire process is just like making a new reservation. The only difference is that you will be paying through your travel funds/credits.
How to Claim Compensation When KLM Cancel Flight?
You can claim compensation for KLM flight cancellations, but only if the said cancellation was done by the airline under conditions such as:
- Under the British and European regulations, you are eligible for compensation up to £520 under certain circumstances.
- You can also claim a full refund if the flight is late by more than 3 hours.
- Sometimes the airline arranges a separate flight as compensation.
- You can always call customer care and lodge a complaint.
- The airline can produce vouchers as compensation.
- Compensation also differs as per destination:
- Flights up to 1500 km can be compensated $280.
- For distance between 1500-3000 km the compensation is up to $450.
- Anymore, and the compensation amount can reach up to $670.
Refund Policy for KLM Tickets
KLM flight cancellation can result in a refund. The refund policy states that:
- Any cancellation within 24 hours of booking is subject to a full refund.
- If the ticket was purchased via voucher or points, then the refund will be in kind.
- However, a reward ticket will not result in a refund.
- A ticket bought via a third-party channel won’t be subject to any refunds.
- If your flight was cancelled, and you opted out of an alternative flight, then you can ask for a refund.
- Any changes in your reservation is also a valid ground for a refund.
- In case of a death of the passenger, the airline will refund full amount.
- If the flight was delayed more than 3 hours, you can get a refund if it’s an intercontinental flight.
- Same for VISA, if denied you can avail a refund.
- More than 90 minutes delay on a connecting European flight while the other flight is on the same day will also warrant a refund.
How to Get a Refund When KLM Cancel Flight?
In most cases, a refund is automated when you cancel the flight. During the process, KLM informs you whether your flight is refundable or not. Thus, the refund process starts with KLM flight cancellations. However, flyers can additionally raise a request for the same by following the method detailed below.
- First, go to the KLM website.
- Then choose your region.
- After that, go for a Ticket Refund, Optional Refund or a Trip Package Refund after logging into your Flying Blue account.
- Here you can view your cancelled flights.
- If applicable, click on the flight and select verify.
- Now enter the relevant information such as your details.
- Then upload supporting documents.
- Lastly, enter your reservation details.
- If eligible, you will receive a refund.
KLM Flight Cancellation Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Ans. Under such circumstances, you are eligible for compensation.
Ans. Yes, you can cancel a KLM flight within 24 hours of booking for free.
Ans. You can raise a refund request by using the Manage Booking service on KLM or by logging into your account.
Ans. Yes, as long as it adheres to the cancellation policy, you can cancel your KLM flight.
Ans. Yes, under the Refund policy, KLM is obliged to offer refunds as long as certain criteria are met.
Ans. You can ask the airline for a refund as well as a compensation if the delay is more than 3 hours long.