Before we describe the various approaches one can take to cancel Lufthansa flight, you have to understand that Lufthansa like any other airlines offers Manage Booking to aid passengers in their ticket modification. Hence, you can use the service to initiate a Lufthansa flight cancellation. As such, traveler can adopt one of the following methods:
Online Flight Cancellation
- Cancelling with the help of the website
- Cancellation via mobile
Offline Flight Cancellation
- Cancelling at the airport
- And finally using a phone call to cancel a flight
Cancel Lufthansa Flight Online via Official Website
First up is our guide on how to cancel a flight online using the official website. Such cancellations are easy, and they only take a few minutes to be completed/. Also in order to cancel a flight on the go, you should use the LufthansaiD or Miles & More account for seamless experience. Passengers can follow the below mention steps to initiate a Lufthansa flight cancellation.
- First, the passenger must visit the Lufthansa official website
- After that, he can choose to whether log in to the LufthansaiD account or simply continue as a guest.
- If you do have an account with the airline, we recommend logging in as it can make the already simple process much easier, as you can view your existing bookings in a single place.
- But those without a membership can still continue and cancel their flights.
- Now, click on menu on the right side of the screen.
- On the new menu, locate View & Amend flight details under the subsection Book & Manage.
- Here, the website requires you to input your Booking Code as well as the passenger’s full name.
- Then, search for the flight and select it from the screen.
- Since you want to cancel your trip, scroll down till you find the Cancellation button.
- Now, click it, and it will cancel your flight.
- Although the website may ask for confirmation and once approved you will find yourself on the check-out page.
- Online cancellations merit automatic refunds. There is no need to request for one separately. Hence, at the check-out page, ensure your refund amount after subtracting the cancellation fee.
Lufthansa Cancel Flight via Mobile App
Passengers can also utilize the exclusive Lufthansa mobile app to manage their itinerary. There are many travelers who favor smartphones nowadays, and they want the ability to control their itinerary on the go. A mobile app does exactly that. And it is available on both the poplar platforms including iOS and Android, Hence, passengers can follow these steps to proceed with their flight cancellation.
- The process starts with downloading the Lufthansa app.
- It can be found on either Google Play Store and or the Apple App Store, as per your needs.
- Then, install it and run the app.
- After that, if you have a LufthansaiD account, login, else continue as a guest.
- Like we did previously, select View & Amend flight details from the menu and enter the relevant data, such as:
- The ticket booking code found on the email one receives at the time of confirmation.
- Passenger’s full name as it appears on the booking.
- Now, select the flight shown in the result and scroll down till you find the cancellation button.
- Press on the button and at the check-out page, confirm your refund amount after deducting the cancellation fees, if present.
Lufthansa Flight Cancellation with Phone Number
Passengers are free to cancel a flight over a phone call. It is one of the most reliable ways to approach cancellation. And all one has to do is follow the instructions carefully and cancel his trip. Here’s how you can achieve the same:
- First, start by calling the Lufthansa Customer care at the number 1-800-548-3192.
- Now, follow the computerized instructions and wait for the airline representative to connect.
- After that, request a flight cancellation and render your booking details.
- Lastly, confirm the refund amount.
Lufthansa Flight Cancellations at Airport
Passengers also have a choice to cancel their flights at the airport. All they have to do is reach out to the ticketing counter and inform the representative of the flight cancellation. Then give your booking details and collect your refund amount.
Lufthansa Cancellation Policy
As per the policy dictating flight cancellations, there is a certain standard of rules and guidelines a passenger is expected to follow. These are as follows:
- A passenger is allowed to process cancellations online and or offline as per his convenience.
- The only requisite is that the ticket has to be purchased directly from the airline. Any tickets from a third source needs to be processed outside.
- Flights that operate directly under Lufthansa are eligible for said cancellations.
- The airline provides a 24-hour risk-free period to facilitate free cancellations and full refunds, regardless of the fare purchased.
- But the airline urges the passenger to ensure that there must be a gap of seven days or more between a booking and flight departure.
- If Lufthansa cancels your booking, it will also grant a full refund no matter your fare.
- Also, in case of such cancellation under controllable situations, the airline will also provide compensation.
- But to avail said refunds and or compensation, the passenger has to request a refund separately.
- Lufthansa Non-refundable tickets do not warrant a refund.
- In case of a no-show, Lufthansa reserves the right to forfeit the total travel fare of the passenger.
Lufthansa 24 Hour Cancellation Policy
We have already informed our readers that any flights originating or destined to the United States has to provide a risk-free period of 24 hours in accordance with the US DoT. Hence, the airline will have to provide free cancellations and full refunds, regardless of the fare, to any passenger who cancels his ticket within the designated time frame.
The period is 24 hours from your initial booking with the scheduled departure more than a week away. Here are a few interesting points one should heed:
- After the risk-free period, you have to pay the inclined cancellation fees.
- Although you can cancel the flight after the risk-free 24 hours, you won’t qualify for a full refund.
- And such refunds will depend on the fare type.
- However, no award tickets warrant the 24-hour cancellation policy.
- And group bookings are also kept outside the scope of this policy.
Lufthansa Airlines Cancellation Policy Due to Death or Serious Illness
Although a cancellation is directly regulated under the policy, it allows for extraordinary situations like death or illness. As per the policy, a passenger can claim a sudden cancellation with a full refund, but under Lufthansa prerogative. It states that if the passenger is unable to fly due to a sudden outburst of illness or death of a closed one, he can qualify for a free cancellation, as long the airline allows it.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee
|During the risk-free 24 hours of booking
|After the risk-free period expires
|$200 to $300
|$200 to $300
|$200 to $300
|After Flight Departure
Lufthansa Flight Change Policy
Lufthansa permits flight changes as per its policy. A passenger can enact modifications to his itinerary as long as he follows the rules and guidelines laid out by the airline, which clearly state:
- A passenger is free to change any Lufthansa flight, given that he has purchased the ticket from the airline.
- Following which, the flight should operate directly under the airline.
- However, a change fee will be added to your purchase.
- Also, if the new flight is costlier, you have to pay the fare difference.
- But on the other hand, Lufthansa will refund you the fare difference if the new flight is cheaper.
- You can change a flexible/refundable ticket for free.
- And you can also take advantage of the risk-free period to make changes.
- Same-day changes are also allowed on Lufthansa.
How to Reschedule Your Lufthansa Airlines Flight?
You can change or reschedule your Lufthansa flight by following two methods
Reschedule or Change Through Online
- Firstly, go to the official website of Lufthansa airlines and click on the “book and manage” option.
- There you will find an option that says “View and amend Flight details”
- After tapping on that log in with your credentials.
- Once you logged in you make any changes or you can just cancel the flight and rebook it
- If the ticket you booked is from a higher class then you have to pay the extra amount and along with the charges.
- Finally, you will receive a mail from Lufthansa confirming your rebooking
Reschedule or Change Through Offline
The Lufthansa flight reschedule or change can also be done by simply contacting their customer service at Lufthansa Reservations Phone Number.
Make a call and get personal assistance at any time. Lufthansa airline’s Customer care will help you by answering all queries without hesitation.
Lufthansa Refund Policy
- According to the Lufthansa refund policy, one can request a refund through the official website.
- It is suggested to request a refund one day before departure.
- If you have any questions about the refund policy you can call customer service and get all the answers related to the refund.
- However, your ticket has to have the eligibility to get a refund. let’s say you have booked an economy ticket then you cannot cancel your ticket for the refund after the risk-free period.
- If you booked a non-refundable ticket then you have to pay a cancellation varying from 200$ to 500$ depending upon the length of the flight and ticket type and you will get the refund in the form of e-credit that you can use for your future flight.
- What if you can cancel your ticket in a breeze without worrying about a penalty? Amazing!! Right!
Well, with a refundable ticket you can do that, and guess what?! You can don’t bother about refund as the airlines will insist on paying you in the original mode of transaction
Steps to Request a Refund From Lufthansa Airlines
Before we begin, first we have to determine how the ticket was purchased and how it was eventually cancelled. If you cancel a ticket online, you don’t have to request for a refund separately. As any refund will be directed automatically. But in case of airline-initiated cancellations, the passenger has to take the initiative and request a refund both online and or offline.
Online Refund Request
- The passenger needs to visit the Lufthansa website.
- Now he has to locate the Menu tab. It will be on the top right of the screen.
- After he clicks it, a drop-down window will appear.
- Then, from that window select Cancellation & Refund.
- On the new page, there will be a few topics, scroll down and click on “I would like to cancel my trip and get a refund on my ticket.”
- Then, the passenger can proceed by click in on the Request Refund link.
- Now, in order to make a manual request, fill in the information such as:
- Passenger name
- Contact info
- Booking details:
- Ticket number
- Booking code
- And other miscellaneous information.
- Lastly, submit the form and follow up with the customer care agent who reaches out via an email.
Offline Refund Request
An offline request is rather simpler. You can visit the Lufthansa local office and provide the necessary documents while requesting a refund or call the customer care number and inform the agent about your queries.
Lufthansa Airlines Compensation
When Lufthansa has to cancel/delay a flight without informing the passenger at least 14 days before said rescheduling, it has to provide a compensation if the delay or cancellation was due to reasons within Lufthansa’s control. As such:
- The passengers are entitled to a full refund, regardless of the fare type they have booked.
- Controllable reasons are as follows:
- Technical malfunctioning of the carrier
- Unavailability of pilots
- Unscheduled maintenance
- As per the compensation guidelines, Lufthansa has to offer an alternate flight to make up for the delayed or cancelled one.
- In case the offered alternate flight wasn’t up to the task, the passengers can also claim cash compensation.
- There are other amenities associated with cancellations:
- Meals and refreshments
- Wi-Fi connection
- A personal call to your loved ones
- Any expenses bore during the stay
- And the transport cost.
Lufthansa Flight Cancellation Compensation
Lufthansa Flight Cancellation Compensation
|Below 2000 KM
|Between 2000 and 4000 KM
|Beyond 4000 KM
Lufthansa Flight Delay Compensation
Lufthansa Flight Delay Compensation
|Less than 1500 Km
|Over 1500 Km within EU
|Between 1500 and 3000 Km
|More than 3000 Km
Am I Eligible for Lufthansa Flight Compensation?
YES, You are eligible for compensation if you have arrived at the airport on time and the flight is delayed more than 3 hours. however, you can’t claim compensation if the flight is delayed due to bad weather or due to natural calamities.
Do I Need any Documents to Claim Compensation?
You need to have your travel documents like a government-issued passport, visa, and hard copy of your ticket, etc.
Passengers can’t avoid cancelling flight, no matter the airlines as there are times when, due to unforeseen events, one has to drop a plan. Even after careful considerations and months of planning. Then a cancellation can result in the total loss of travel funds. If you want to avoid such issues when flying with Lufthansa, you have to heed the Lufthansa Cancellation Policy carefully. Given below are the relevant rules and guidelines alongside the numerous methods to initiate a ticket cancellation successfully.
Lufthansa Cancellations Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Ans. .To get a refund one can visit the official website of the airline and request for refund
.It is suggested to request a refund one day before departure.
.If you have any questions about the refund policy you can call customer service and get all the answers related to the refund.
Ans. If Lufthansa cancels flight, you will get a refund and also compensation if the cancellation was within the airline’s control.
Ans. As per the policy, a passenger can cancel any flights with Lufthansa as long the ticket was purchased directly from the airline.
Ans . Your ticket has to have the eligibility to get a refund. let’s say you have booked an economy ticket then you cannot cancel your ticket for the refund after the risk-free period.
. If you booked a non-refundable ticket then you have to pay a cancellation varying from 200$ to 500$ depending upon the length of the flight and ticket type and you will get the refund in the form of e-credit that you can use for your future flight.
. If you booked a refundable ticket then you can cancel your ticket at any time without paying any cancellation fee
. You can also avoid the cancellation fee by canceling your flight within 24-hours from the point of booking.
Ans. The airline can cancel a delayed flight and provide travelers with refunds.
Ans. It takes around 7 to 10 days for a refund to revert.
Ans. Yes, but only partially.
. You can visit the airline’s official website and click on menu.
. Then click on Flight status under the During Your Trip subsection.
. Enter your flight details and learn the latest status of your trip.
Ans. As per the US DoT any cancellation within 24 hours of booking is made for free.
Ans. Depending on the fare type and when you cancel the flight, you can get a full refund.
Ans. Yes, the airline permits passengers to cancel any ticket they don’t want as long it was purchased directly from them.
Ans. You can contact the online support team by filling up a request form. Or you can directly call them.
Ans. In such cases, you won’t get any refunds.
Ans. If you purchased a flex ticket, it will be refundable
Ans. It can cost anywhere in between $200 to $300 to cancel a trip.
Ans. Yes, Lufthansa airlines have a 24-hour cancellation policy. by which one can avoid the cancellation fee and get a complete refund by canceling their ticket within 24 hours from the point booking.