Travellers often make the easy mistake of booking flights under the wrong name when they are in a hurry or busy. Don’t worry if the names or spellings on your Finnair ticket are wrong. Following Finnair’s name change process, you can change guest names even after booking. Know when you need to change your name, how much it will cost, and what kind of ID you need, and show proof of this to avoid problems. Learn about Finnair’s rules to quickly fix mistakes and travel with the right name on your ticket.
The key is to move quickly after finding a mistake, meet Finnair’s standards for ID and documents, pay any fees, and ask for changes before the deadline. Knowing the airline’s rules and procedures allows you to change your name without stopping your trip. Give enough time for changes and double-check names to avoid making mistakes in the future.
Finnair’s Name Change Policy
Finnair allows flyers to change passenger names on tickets. Some key points about their name change policy:
- Spelling corrections are permitted for free up to 24 hours before departure.
- Name changes incur a fee – €55/£35 for short-haul Europe flights and €110/£75 for the long haul.
- Tickets are non-transferable – name changes to another person are not allowed.
- Legal documentation must be presented for name changes due to marriage/divorce.
- Changes can be made by contacting Finnair customer service or at the airport check-in counter.
- Refunds or unused value from partially used tickets cannot be transferred when changing names.
Finnair’s name change policy aims to allow legitimate name corrections while preventing misuse of ticket transfers between passengers. Understanding their guidelines is key to a smooth process.
When Can You Change Your Name on the Finnair Ticket?
Ideally, name corrections should be done as early as possible, at least 24 hours before departure. However, the following timelines apply for changing names on Finnair flights:
- Minor spelling errors – can be fixed up to 24 hours before flight departure.
- Name changes – permitted at least 24 hours before departure for short-haul Europe flights. Changes can be made up to 48 hours before departure for long-haul flights.
- At the airport check-in – minor name corrections may be allowed but not guaranteed.
Name changes are not allowed after check-in closes for your flight. Contact Finnair immediately if you notice an error in the booking. Last-minute changes at the airport also risk incurring higher change fees.
How to Change Name on Finnair Ticket
Follow the steps below to change the passenger name on your Finnair booking:
Finnair Online Name Change
- Log in to ‘My Bookings’ on the Finnair website or mobile app using your booking reference and last name.
- Click ‘Modify Booking’ and select the passenger name you want to change.
- Update the name and other details as required. Minor spelling fixes can be done here.
- Contact Finnair customer service at +1-800-548-3192 (in the US) for name changes to a different person.
Call Finnair Customer Service
- Check change deadlines – ensure you are within the permitted time frame to modify names.
- Have documents ready – marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.
- Call customer service – have your booking reference handy. In the US, call +1-800-548-3192.
- Request name change – Provide travel dates, passenger details and a new name.
- Make payment – pay applicable name change fees via credit card.
- Get confirmation – receive an email confirming the successful name change.
At Finnair Airport Check-in
- Arrive early – allow enough time in case documentation needs to be verified.
- Confirm documentation – carry marriage cert, divorce decree, etc. If applicable.
- Request name change – approach check-in counter, provide booking reference and explain name change requirement.
- Present ID documents – show your passport, visa, etc. Ensure the new name matches.
- Make payment – pay the name change fee at the check-in counter by card or cash.
- Get an updated boarding pass – with your new name printed.
Documents Required for Finnair Name Change
The following documents are required when changing names on Finnair tickets:
- Passport – must match the new name you change to.
- Visa – if required, should have the updated name.
- Booking confirmation – to retrieve your reservation.
- Marriage/divorce certificate – for name changes due to marriage or divorce.
- Death certificate – if transferring a ticket from a deceased passenger.
- Credit/debit card – for paying name change fees.
Ensure your passport and visa reflect your new name before changing it with Finnair to avoid issues during travel. Carry digital or print copies when going to the airport.
Finnair Name Correction Due to Error in Spelling
If your name is misspelled on the Finnair ticket with a minor error or typo, you can get it fixed without fees. Examples include:
- Incorrect spelling of first/last name
- Name initial instead of full name
- Titles like Mr/Mrs missing
- Incorrect name order, e.g., first name, last name
Follow the steps below:
- Contact Finnair via call, email or social media.
- Provide a booking reference and explain that the name is misspelled.
- Give correct name spelling and details.
- Finnair will verify and correct the error.
- No fees apply for minor spelling fixes.
Double-check tickets carefully while booking to avoid such errors. But if you miss it, Finnair does allow the correction of typos for free.
Finnair Name Change Due to Marriage/Divorce
For name changes due to marriage or divorce, additional legal documents are required:
- Marriage certificate – must be original, not photocopy.
- The certificate must have your old and new names on it.
- Applicable for both women changing names or men adding spouse’s surname.
- Divorce decree – original required, not photocopy.
- Must show your updated name post-divorce.
- Court order legally permitting name change due to divorce.
Present these documents when requesting a name change to reflect your updated marital status. The process and fees remain the same.
Transferring Finnair Ticket to Another Person
Finnair does not allow transferring a ticket to another person, even for a fee, except in extreme circumstances.
As per IATA guidelines, name changes are only permitted for the same person on the ticket. For instance:
- Minor spelling corrections
- Name change due to marriage/divorce
- Adding a middle name or initials
Transfer to another person is not allowed for reasons like:
- Wanting to send a friend/family instead
- Business clients can’t travel, sending a substitute
- Bought a ticket for someone who now can’t fly
- Death of original passenger – death certificate required
- Medical emergencies where the original passenger cannot travel – a doctor’s certificate is required
In such extreme cases, contact Finnair with full details for consideration of transfers. Approval is at Finnair’s discretion. Refunds or unused ticket value cannot be transferred to the new passenger.
Tips for Changing Name on Finnair Ticket
Follow these tips for a smooth name-change experience with Finnair:
- Act quickly – initiate name change immediately after noticing an error. Last-minute changes are not allowed.
- Double-check the new name – ensure it matches ID docs to avoid issues during travel.
- Pay fees promptly – for regular name changes, not typos. Have credit/debit card ready.
- Verify changes – check reservation after request to ensure the new name reflects.
- Carry confirmation – print updated booking confirmation with a new name on it.
- Arrive early for the flight – allow time for additional ID checks and documentation.
- Stay calm – understand name issues cause stress, but Finnair staff will help.
Following these tips and Finnair’s policies will make it easy to fix name errors and ensure your trip is smooth after the change.
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about changing names with Finnair:
Minor spelling fixes can be done for free. But name changes or corrections incur a fee.
It’s €55/£35 for Europe short-haul and €110/£75 for long-haul flights.
Provide your marriage certificate when requesting a name change to your married name. Applicable fees apply.
Minor corrections are permitted online. For name changes, contact customer service.
No, name changes must be done 24 hours before departure.
Finnair customer care may alter your name and accept payments over the phone.
If applicable, you’ll need a booking confirmation, passport, visa, and marriage/divorce certificate.
Ideally, 24-48 hours before departure. Last-minute changes at check-in are not guaranteed.
Name changes are reflected quickly after calling customer service. Confirm the updated reservation.
You’ll receive an updated booking confirmation with the new name. The original ticket remains unchanged.
- Review Finnair’s name policy before initiating changes.
- Act immediately on noticing errors to meet deadlines.
- Have requisite documents like passport and marriage certificate ready.
- Provide legal documents for marriage/divorce-related changes.
- Understand name transfers to other people are restricted.
- Follow the tips provided for a smooth name-change experience.
Changing passenger names on Finnair is possible by contacting their customer service. Ensure you have the proper documentation, know the fees and comply with Finnair’s policies for an easy name correction process