Air Canada is a well established flag carrier of Canada. As such, it is unsurprising that the airline prioritizes comfort and quality service foremost. Also, the airline strives to cater to customer satisfaction. Thus, it provided Manage Booking facilities to the passengers online as well as offline. Today we will learn more about Air Canada Cancellation policy and relevant compensation.
How to Cancel My Air Canada Ticket Online?
Air Canada cancellation online is easy. You can review and cancel any flights within minutes. At the same time you can also receive the relevant refunds and request for compensations as per the Air Canada Cancellation policy. All you have to do is follow the below-mentioned steps:
- First, go to the official Air Canada website
- After that, you have two options to proceed.
- First, you can log into your Aeroplan account and view all the pre-booked flights at once. Then use the Manage Booking to cancel any flight.
- Second, you can continue as a guest and use the Manage Booking to locate your flight and then cancel it.
- In this example we will continue as a guest as not everyone will have an Aeroplan account available.
- Here, locate the Book tab on the home page and click it. Or directly click on the My Bookings tab on the menu.
- Now, you have to fill in the flight details you want to cancel. Thus, enter the following:
- Your six-digit booking reference or your Ticket number. You can find it on your confirmation mail or the itinerary.
- And the passenger’s last name.
- Then, click on Find to continue.
- After that, click on your pre-booked flight and select Cancel My Flight.
- Now, the website will redirect you to the check-out page where your refund will be calculated according to the Air Canada Cancellation fee. Beware that the refund will be a final amount after subtracting the cancellation fee from your travel funds.
- Also, the refund will be either as money or voucher/credit for future use, depending on fare type, time of cancellation and destination.
As said before, you can also place a cancellation request by calling Air Canada Flight Cancellation Phone Number 1 800-548-3192. The customer service of Air Canada will serve 24/7 in order to solve any kind of issue.
Air Canada Flight Cancellations via Mobile App
- First, go to the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store and download the Air Canada App.
- Then launch the app by tapping the app icon.
- Now, enter your booking details to locate your pre-booked flight.
- After that, click on the flight to cancel it.
- Lastly, confirm the refund amount and make sure of the cancellation fee.
Air Canada Cancel Flight with Phone Number
You can also proceed with Air Canada cancellation over the phone. All you have to do is make a call to the customer care services and request Air Canada flight cancellation. You can follow these steps to do so:
- First, call Air Canada Customer service at 1-888-247-2262 or 1 800-548-3192.
- After that, connect to the airline representative by following the on-call instructions.
- Now, request your flight cancellation and provide the booking details.
- Lastly confirm the cancellation fee and refund amount.
Air Canada Cancellations at Airport
Cancelling a flight on the airport is a hassle. However, there are times when a passenger is left with no other choice but to do so. Especially during an emergency or a hurry, you can make Air Canada flight cancellation by visiting the ticketing center at the airport and requesting the representative. Following that, you have to provide the booking details.
How to Check if Your Air Canada flight is Cancelled or not?
You can use the Manage Booking to view the current status of your flight. Here’s what you do:
- First, go to the official Air Canada website.
- Then, click on Flight Status.
- Now, enter your flight number and departure date.
- Lastly, click on Find to view the flight status.
How to Rebook an Air Canada Flight?
If the flight has already been cancelled, you can follow these steps to rebook it.
- First, go to Air Canada’s official website.
- Then, click on Sign in and enter your Aeroplan account credentials.
- After you log into your Aeroplan account, you can click on My bookings to view your pre-booked flights.
- Now, click on cancelled flights to view the list of already cancelled flights.
- Then, select the flight you want to rebook.
- And click on Rebook My Trip.
- After that, create your itinerary as per the policy.
- Lastly, pay any fare difference at the check-out.
Air Canada Ticket Cancellation Fee
|Basic Economy||Not allowed; Total Travel fund.|
|Premium Economy Non-flexible||$200|
|Premium Business Class Non-flexible||$200|
|Premium Economy Flexible||Free|
|Business Class Flexible||Free|
|Award/Reward||$125 online; $150 offline|
|Diamond||$30 online; $100 offline|
|Altitude Super Elite 100k||Free|
What is Air Canada Cancellation Policy?
Air Canada’s cancellations policy dictates the following rules and guidelines:
- Every Air Canada ticket is eligible for cancellation.
- However, said ticket must have been purchased directly via the airline.
- Any tickets purchased via a third party is illegible for cancellation through the airlines and the passenger has to contact the relevant person/party.
- Only flights operating directly under the airline will qualify for cancellation.
- Any code-shared flight can’t be cancelled wholly. Air Canada is only responsible for the relevant parts of the trip.
- The last you can cancel a flight is maximum 2 hours before scheduled departure.
- Non-refundable tickets are illegible for any refunds.
- If the airline cancel and refunds a non-refundable ticket, the refund will be in the form of travel credits or vouchers.
- As per the guidelines, a passenger can cancel a flight 24 hours from initial booking at no charge, and for a full refund, regardless of the fare type.
- However, the initial reservation should and the scheduled flight departure must have a gap of 7 days or more.
- In case of a refund after traveling, you can’t initiate a request later than 60 days, otherwise you will only qualify for a partial refund.
- If you paid for your booking via a credit card then the refund will be done within 7 to 10 business days. Otherwise, it can take 20 days to 3 months.
- Any refund will only revert to the original source of payment.
- If your flight was cancelled under the no-show policy, the airline has the right to forfeit the whole travel fund.
- If you have received a compensation from your insurance, you are illegible for any additional compensation from the airline.
Taxes are refundable.
- In case of airline-initiated cancellation that is within the airline’s control, you are eligible for a refund plus additional compensation.
- However, if the cancellation is due to uncontrollable reasons, you must utilize the alternate flight offered to you.
- If the offered alternate flight is unsuitable, you can:
- Transfer your travel balance to a travel voucher for future use.
- Or convert the balance into Aeroplan credit with a bonus of 65%.
Air Canada 24 Hour Cancellation Policy
As per the 24 hours flight cancellation policy, any flights that are cancelled within 24 hours from booking falls under the risk-free period. Any such cancellations are free of cost and any refunds will be made in full. This policy is applicable for all fare types. However, the booking and scheduled flight must have a difference of 7 or more days.
Air Canada Flight Cancellation Policy for International Flights
You can cancel any internation flights as long you do so through the original point of purchase. Furthermore, the cancellation fee may apply as required.
Cancellation Policy for Medical Illness
In the case you fail to travel due to a sudden illness, you don’t have to pay a cancellation fee. Also, you are eligible for a full refund. However, you have to provide the relevant documentation.
Air Canada Weather Cancellation Policy
If your flight was disrupted due to extreme weather conditions, Air Canada allows you to cancel the flight for free and also award a full refund regardless of fare type. Furthermore, the airline can also rebook you to an alternate flight for free.
Vacations Cancellation Policy
If you booked a vacation package through Air Canada and cancel it, the standard cancellation fees will apply. However, it will be subject to the time of cancellation. Also, it is a per-guest cancellation.
Same-day Cancellations Air Canada on the Flight Date
You can’t cancel a flight that is bound for departure the same day. If you do so, the airline reserves the right to forfeit your travel funds.
Cancellation Policy for Basic Economy Tickets
Basic Economy tickets do not warrant cancellation. However, you can still proceed with a cancellation if it is done within 24 hours of booking. Also, you can cancel it in case of any airline-initiated cancellations. Lastly, if bound by a government/court/military order, you can cancel it.
Cancellation Policy for Non-Refundable Tickets
Non-refundable tickets can be cancelled, but they are only eligible for a partial refund. These include the Standard Eco, Flex, Comfort, and Non-Flex Premium Eco/Business. Also, any cancellation on these tickets will be refunded as travel vouchers.
Cancellation Policy for Refundable Tickets
Such tickets can be cancelled and that too for a full refund. But only if you cancel them before flight departure. The refund will revert to the original source. Latitude, Premium Eco Flex, and Business Flex are included in the Refundable tickets.
Air Canada Aeroplan Cancellation Policy
Air Canada’s policy for any flights booked via the Aeroplan membership states that: Passengers can cancel any reward/award flights only through Aeroplan. If you cancel it with the Aeroplan account online, it will cost $125 and if you cancel it offline at a contact center then $150. However, those with a Diamond membership can cancel it for $30 online and $100 offline. Lastly, Altitude Super Elite won’t be charged anything for a cancellation.
Air Canada COVID-19 Cancellation Policy
Under the COVID-19 cancellation policy, you can cancel a flight between April 30, 2021, and April 30, 2022, for a full refund. Also, any rebooking due to such cancellation won’t be charged a flight change fee.
24 Hour Air Canada Cancellation Policy
According to the 24-hour Air Canada cancellation policy, irrespective of ticket type one can avoid cancellation/change fee by placing a cancellation/changing their ticket within the next 24 hours from the point of booking.
- This policy is applicable to all kinds of tickets
- However, if you cancel your ticket after the grace period you have to pay a cancellation fee depending upon the fare and class you choose to fly
- With this policy, you can also get a complete refund within 5-20 days depending on your original payment mode.
Air Canada Change Policy
- If you want to make any changes to a refundable ticket then you don’t have to bother about the extra fee as you won’t be charged any but, you have to pay the fare for the difference.
- If your old ticket is pricier than the new ticket then the refund will be done by the airlines. The refund will be done in the form of e-credit with which you can book your future flights
- When it comes to a non-refundable ticket you can make any changes but you will be charged an extra amount as change fees and you should also pay the fare difference.
- After all, deductions, if there is a leftover amount then it will be refunded in the e-credit form.
- However, you can make a change and still avoid the changes fees by making the changes in the next 24 hours from the point of booking.
Tips to Avoid Air Canada Cancellation Fee
If you want to avoid the triggering cancelation fee then make your cancelation as quick as possible
- As per the Air Canada cancellation policy one can avoid the cancellation fee if he/she canceled his/her ticket within the next 24 hours from the point of booking.
- This 24-hour cancellation policy applies to all kind of tickets
- However, to make your cancellation hassle-free you can go with the refundable ticket by which you will get access to cancel your ticket whenever you want without paying any kind of cancellation fee.
Air Canada Vouchers, Credits, and Coupons
In case of a cancellation, other than money, you can receive one of the following from Air Canada:
- Travel Voucher
Given below are the scenarios relevant to these credits associated with Air Canada:
- It is a transferable form of credit that never expires. You can use it online or offline to book a flight, hotel package, vacation trip etc. But it is only valid for the Caribbean and Mexico destinations.
- It has a physical form, and you can only receive it offline. In case you transfer the voucher online, it can take up to 3 days for the same to reflect.
- You can use it as many times, till it is fully redeemed. It lacks an expiry date.
- You can’t use it for booking flights via the mobile app or check-in kiosks.
- Also, group bookings or Air Canada Flight Passes etc. can’t be bought by a voucher.
- As opposed to the physical ones, e-Vouchers exist digitally.
- You can use these to purchase flight tickets (base fares) on Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Rouge.
- The e-Voucher will reach you via the email with a 13 digit voucher number.
- Taxes and surplus can’t be paid using an e-Voucher.
- e-Vouchers come with an explicit expiry after which the value is reduced to 0.
- You can transfer these to another by phone or via the Air Canada Reservations.
- You can redeem these vouchers both online and offline.
- You can use the ACCredit to purchase flight tickets and auxiliary services on Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Rouge.
- ACCredits have a 15-digit identification number and a 4-digit PIN for authentication purposes.
- These credits do not have an expiry when issued in accordance with the Air Passenger Protection Regulations.
- Also, they are renewed automatically every 5 years.
- You can’t use ACCredit to purchase a Flight Pass, group bookings or Air Canada Vacation.
- You can transfer them to another.
- It can be used online and offline
- For online use heed the following:
- The ticket price must be lower than the ACCredit value.
- It must be used with a Gift card or e-Coupon.
- For offline use:
- You are free to use ACCredit as you wish.
- You can use a mix of two payments method.
- But auxiliary purchases should only be made using a single mode of payment.
- You can use ACCredits to make payments through the mobile app and kiosks.
- But you can’t use it at airport ticket counters.
- It can’t be used to purchase Flight Passes, Vacations, Hotel Bookings, Car rentals etc.
- It is digital in nature, and you can use it to purchase several types of flights and ancillary services.
- You will receive it in the email alongside the 15-digit identification umber and 4-digit PIN.
- You can check your e-Coupon balance online.
- e-Coupons come with an expiry date, mentioned in the email.
- It is transferable and can be used as cash while making purchase with the airline.
- But it can’t be sold.
- It can also be used to pay the various fees on Air Canada.
- It can’t be used at the airport.
How to use an Air Canada Travel e-Voucher?
You can use e-Vouchers to make a new reservation on Air Canada. All you have to do is select thee-Voucher as the mode of payment and input the 13-digit voucher number.
To use an e-Voucher follow these steps:
- First, go to the Air Canada website.
- Then click on Book tab.
- Now, click on Flight to make a new reservation.
- Here, enter the origin and destination of the flight and then select the departure date and time.
- Now, create your itinerary such as selecting class, fare type, filling the passenger details, contact details etc.
- After that, click on Book Flight and on the check-out page select e-Voucher as your mode of payment.
- Then enter the 13-digit voucher number and click on Proceed.
What is Air Canada’s Cancellation Compensation Policy?
When it comes to cancellation, both sides can cancel a flight. But, this only happens in rare cases. A flight will get canceled by the airlines if they are facing any technical issues or due to bad weather cancel.
Air Canada always prioritizes the passenger’s safety and comfort. So, it will consider all the factors to cancel all the factors before canceling a flight.
It is common to expect compensation when an airline cancels its flight, but there are some rules that you need to know before thinking about compensation.
- Air Canada always tries to rebook another flight if they cancel your flight and they will not charge any kind of additional fee for this process
- If the rebooked flight doesn’t work with your schedule you can request compensation.
- You will get compensation if your cancellation happens from your side.
- If your ticket is canceled due to bad weather then airlines will not give any compensation.
- The rebooking can be done on the airline’s website but you must have to pay certain charges depending on your ticket type.
Air Canada Refund Policy
- As said early if a passenger happens to cancel his/her ticket within the next 24 hours from the point of booking then they can avoid a cancellation fee and they are also eligible to get a complete refund.
- If a passenger cancels their ticket after the risk-free period then they will be charged a cancellation fee and this cancellation fee is deducted from the original payment amount.
- Once the cancellation fee is taken out from your ticket price the rest will be refunded in e-credit form, you can use this e-credit while booking your next flight.
- You can also get a complete refund if you cancel a refundable ticket and the refund will be done in the original form payment mode.
If you booked your ticket with the help of a travel agency then you should contact the travel agency in order to make any changes or to acquire a refund.
How to Get a Refund for an unused Part of a Vacation Package or Voucher
- You can get a refund for the unused part of a vacation package or voucher by placing a request directly through the official website or by making a phone call.
- You can get any refund by visiting the office directly
- The refund will be done in the form of e-credit which you can use to book your future flights.
For further inquiries, you can send an email directly to the airlines
Compensation Provided by Air Canada
You can always cancel your flight and get a full refund if the following conditions are met:
- The airline cancelled your flight.
- You initiated a cancellation within the 24-hour risk-free period.
- You have a refundable ticket.
- The airline denied you boarding with no fault of your own.
- The flight was delayed more than 3 hours.
- Air Canada rescheduling caused you to miss your connecting flight.
- You missed the flight due to extenuating circumstances.
How to Claim a Flight Delay Compensation From Air Canada?
To claim a compensation from Air Canada, first you have to fulfill the necessary requirements. These are:
- Those who have already flown:
- If you have partially completed a trip, and want to claim a refund for the remainder, you can do so by requesting a refund by filling a request form online.
- Those who have yet to fly:
- The refund is automatic when you cancel your reservation. Although, it depends on fare type. And cancellation fee may apply.
- Those who have a Basic Economy are illegible for any refunds.
- Those who cancel within the 24-hour risk-free period can enjoy a full refund, regardless of fare type.
How much can I get in compensation for my cancelled Air Canada flight?
If your Air Canada flight is overly delayed, cancelled, or you were denied boarding despite confirming the booking, you can claim a compensation under the following scenarios:
In case of delay/cancellation:
If your flight was late by 3 hours or more (cancelled) and the situation was within controllable measures, and you were not informed of such at least 15 days before departure, you can claim a refund as follows:
- A delay of 3 to 6 hours – $400
- Delay of 6 to 9 hours – $700
- More than 9 hours delay – $1000
But if you were offered an alternate flight, but you refused, the compensation will only be $400.
In case of boarding denial
If you were denied boarding on your original flight due to a reason within Air Canada’s control and were offered an alternate flight, then any delay in arrival of the said new flight can be a subject of compensation as per the following:
- Any delay of 0 to 6 hours – $900
- Delay of 6 to 9 hours – $1800
- At least a 9 hours delay – $2400
Everyone deserves a week to brush off all the workload and traveling is a way to do that. But, what if sudden changes in the plans happen and you need to cancel your flight.“Exhausting” right!! Cancellation can be exhausting especially if you are eagerly looking forward to a great weekend but the cancellation process all by itself can be a nightmare if you have no idea how does cancelation policy work.
So, if you are someone who wants to cancel your Air Canada flight ticket then keep scrolling your mouse toward the up.
Conclusion: Whatever the plan is it is always important to be on track and know all the updates ahead. It will help you in saving a lot of money, time, and energy. now get all the benefits from your Air Canada ticket as you know all the policies that help you in canceling and getting a refund successfully.
Air Canada Cancellation Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Ans. Absolutely yes!! According to the 24-hour cancellation policy, you will get a complete refund if you cancel your ticket within 24 hours of booking.
Ans. The latest you can cancel is 2 hours before departure.
Ans. Some refunds take up to 3 months to be processed.
Ans. In case of an airline-initiated cancellation, users can claim a full refund from Air Canada. Also, if the cancellation was due to a controllable reason, they will be entitled to a compensation.
Ans. You can claim a refund online and the airline will send you e-Coupons that can be used for new bookings.
Ans. Yes, you can cancel any ticket with Air Canada, as long it has been purchased directly from the airline.
Ans. If the flight was at least 3 hours late or cancelled due to any reason that was within the control of the airline, you will get a compensation as per the policy.
Ans. Yes, but only on tickets other than the Basic Economy.
Ans. Yes, however it depends on fare type, class and destination.
Ans. e-Vouchers come with a clear expiry date of 1 years.
Ans. There are a few conditions where Air Canada will forgo the cancellation fee:
. IF you cancel within the 24-hour risk-free period.
. If you cancel a fully flexible ticket.
. The cancellation was due to a controllable reason.
. Under special circumstances like sudden illness, death in family.
. What happens if you cancel a non-refundable flight?
. You will get a partial refund after subtracting the cancellation fee.
Ans. The fee ranges anywhere between 0 to $200.
Ans. If the payment was made via credit card, the refund will take 7 to 10 business days. Other mode of payments can take 20 days to 3 months.
Ans. In case of any rescheduling you can demand a full refund and a compensation.
Ans. Yes, Air Canada allows modification to the itinerary before departure.
Ans. Yes, if done within the 24-hour risk-free period.
Ans. Yes !! If the airline cancels a flight it arranges a new flight. However, You can claim a refund if you are not comfortable with the new scheduled flight.
Ans. No consequences and No cancellation fee!! Yes, you heard it right, it is a benefit if you cancel your ticket within 24 hours from booking as this allows you to avoid the cancellation fee and you will get a complete refund by this cancellation policy.