After having a killer productive week all we can wish is a quick holiday getaway. Yet, 2020 has seriously been a hard pill to swallow, and traveling has become a wish that never comes true. To top this unexpected situation here comes to the crushing pain called “cancellations fee”. But expecting the unexpected and being ready for any kind of situation will not only make your life simpler and easier but this also saves you a lot of money. Well, if you are someone wondering about the Alaska Airlines cancellation policy then you are in the right place as we take you through all the terms and conditions that are left unknown.
Alaska Airlines is a major air carrier committed to all round performance. While it offers quality service it also caters to the customer satisfaction. The airline is indisposed towards making air travel as comfortable as possible. That is why it recognizes the fact that cancellations are a part of any transportation service. Thus, it provides robust solutions. Today we will learn more about the Alaska airlines cancellations policy and witness how Alaska Airlines cancel flight.
Alaska Airlines Flight Cancellations Process via Official Alaska Website
As per the Alaska Airlines cancellation policy, you can cancel a flight online as well. All you need is to have your booking details ready as the process wouldn’t even take a minute. You can do the following:
- Firstly, you need to visit the official website of the airline, AlaskaAir.com for Alaska Airlines cancel flight.
- Then, choose Travel Management from the drop-down menu.
- After that, write your name and your 6-letter confirmation code or your 10-digit e-ticket number carefully.
- Then, find and select the button which says “Continue.”
- You need to find and carefully choose the flight you want to cancel your ticket for and choose Alaska Cancel Flight to finish the entire procedure.
- Select one of the following options:
- You can choose to send the credit of your canceled flight ticket to your wallet to get a credit deposit. You can find this credit deposit in your My Account profile.
- You can also opt for sending the travel credit to your email account to get a valid credit certificate.
- If you choose to have a credit certificate sent to your email account, then, according to the Alaska Airlines cancellation policy, the certificate can only be used for 1 year from the date you received it, or 30 days from the date of exchange cancellation, whichever comes later.
- Your credit certificates cannot be accessed through the mobile app.
- You must remember to save your PIN and Certificate Code as they are required to book a new flight.
Alaska Airlines Flight Cancellations via Mobile App
You can also use the exclusive mobile app from Alaska Airlines to Manage Booking and cancel flights as per the Alaska Airlines cancellations policy. Hence, you have to follow these steps:
- First, go to the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store and download Alaska Airlines app.
- Then tap the app icon to launch it.
- Now, tap on Manage and enter the following booking details:
- Your confirmation code and the passenger’s last name.
- After that click on Continue to proceed.
- Once you locate your pre booked flight click on it to cancel it.
- Lastly, on the check-out page, make sure of your refund amount, cancellation fee, if applied etc.
Alaska Airlines Flight Cancellation with Phone Number
However, when we talk about offline Alaska Airlines cancellations, it is inadvertently that we do it over a phone call. It is still one of the most popular methods to approach cancellations. All you have to do is:
- Call Alaska Airlines customer care at 1-800-252-7522 (1-800-ALASKAAIR) or 1 805-900-8786.
- Then, follow the on-call instructions and connect to the airline representative.
- After that, request a cancellation and provide your booking details.
- Lastly, make sure of your refund amount and cancellation fee.
Alaska Airline Cancellation at the Airport
Alaska Airlines cancellations at the airport is possible. Sometimes a passenger is in a hurry, and he has no other option. Thus, all he has to do is reach out to the ticketing counter and request a flight cancellation. Although it is mostly used in case of a missed flight.
Alaska Airlines Change Flight Policy – Aug. Updated (2022)
As per the flight change policy, there are a few guidelines one has to adhere to:
- Any flight can be changed.
- However, the ticket must be purchased directly from Alaska Airlines.
- The flight must operate under the airline.
- Also, you are free to make changes during the risk-free 24-hour period.
- Such changes will be free, regardless of fare type.
- After 1 May 2021, most flight changes are free of cost.
- You can also change the name on the ticket.
- However, it comes under the name change policy.
- A passenger can make modifications both online and offline.
- Non-refundable tickets can’t be changed Same-day.
- And any Same-day changes cost $50.
- But those who are member of the MVP Gold 75k or the Gold Status can make changes for free as long it’s before departure.
- If the destination is California, then Same-day changes only cost $25.
- Although such changes are free, you may still incur a fare difference.
- Saver fares are non-flex and thus can not be changed.
- However, these can be changed during the risk-free period.
Cancelation Policy Due to Covid-19:
Alaska Airlines took responsibility and made its own rule book as the customer well-being is their priority. As a part of this process, Alaska Airlines came up with a cancelation policy to calm down the covid-19 situation and to serve their passengers with full potential. Here are the details of cancellation and change fee-related information about Alaska Airlines. The Alaska Airlines cancellation policy due to covid-19 says:
- According to the Alaska Airlines cancel policy due to Covid-19, any tickets that were purchased from 27th February 2020 to 30th April 2021 will have the Peace of Mind Waiver applied to them. This means that when you wish to Alaska Airlines cancel flight that was booked around this time, you won’t need to pay any cancellation fee.
- If you booked a Saver fare between 27th February 2020 to 30th April 2021, you can apply for Alaska Airlines Cancellations easily as you won’t be charged anything for it. Your credit for this flight will be deposited to your “My Account” or you can get it as a credit certificate in case you want to book an Alaska Airlines Flight in the future.
- If you had purchased a non-refundable flight (Award tickets, Main Cabin, and First Class) during this period, you can change your flight or even cancel without being charged at all. If you cancel these flights, it will be refunded into your Alaska Airlines account or sent as a credit certificate via email which can be used for further travel.
Alaska Airlines Cancellation Policy After May 1, 2021:
- You won’t be charged any cancellation fee for First Class fares and Main Cabin fares.
- You cannot cancel a saver fare if you miss our 24-hour cancellation window.
- Some other guidelines you need to follow for Alaska Airlines canceling flights are listed below:
- You need to cancel your flight tickets before your flight departs the airport.
- If you cannot get a refund on your flight, you can apply to cancel this seat and use the same money for future flights.
- If you used any third-party apps or websites such as Expedia or Skyscanner, you need to call them directly for the Alaska Airlines cancellations process.
- You will receive your refund within twenty business days if you cancel a cash purchase for Alaska Airlines. If you have used your credit card to book a flight with this airline, you can get a refund within a week but it will take two weeks for the refunded money to reflect on your bank account.
- You can only take advantage of the Peace of Mind waivers to tickets if Alaska Airlines flights that have a 13-digit ticket number where the first 3 digits are 027, which is the Alaska Airlines code.
- If your ticket number starts with another code, then, another airline will help you in canceling your flight.
24-Hours Alaska Airlines Cancellation Policy
As per the US Department of Transportation, any flight to and from the United States should offer a risk-free period of 24 hours. It should start from the time of booking, keeping in mind that there are at least 7 days or more between the booking and scheduled flight departure.
This is what we call the 24-hour Alaska Airline cancel flight policy. As per the policy:
- Passengers are eligible to cancel their flight for free regardless of fare type within this period.
- Also, any cancellation will qualify for a full refund.
- You can also cancel a non-refundable ticket for a full refund, but the airline is allowed to offer travel credits for future use.
- The same holds true for Saver fares.
- However, only tickets purchased directly from the airline will be considered.
- Also, you can cancel the flight both online and offline.
Here is Everything That you Need Alaska Airlines Cancellation Policy
- Alaska Airline has a 24-hour cancellation policy with which you can cancel your ticket without bothering about the cancellation fee.
- You will also get a complete refund, however, according to this policy you should successfully cancel your in the next 24 hours from booking.
- If you decide to cancel your ticket after 24 hours since booking then you should pay a cancellation fee depending upon the fare and class you booked. The cancellation and the refund process vary from one ticket to the other as it depends upon the type of ticket, class, and fare you chose to fly with.
Let’s explore the types of tickets and how Alaska Airlines’ cancellation policy is applied to that particular type of ticket.
1. Saver Ticket:
You are not allowed to cancel a saver ticket unless you cancel it within 24 hours from the point of booking. If you purchased a saver fare and decided to cancel it for any reason then hurry up and place a cancellation ticket within 24 hours from the point of booking.
2. Main Cabinet Ticket:
They must cancel your main cabinet ticket 24-hour before booking to avoid the cancelation fee but if you cancel your ticket after 24 hours from the point of booking then you have to pay $125 as a cancelation fee. However, you can also save yourself from the frustrating cancellation fee if you are a member of MVP gold or if you planned to route within the state of Alaska.
After the cancellation of your ticket, the amount that is left after the deduction of the cancellation fee will be refunded in the form of credit that you can use for your future flight.
According to the Alaska Airlines policy, this credit is valid up to a year from the ticket issued date.
Did you Book a Non-refundable Ticket?
That may put you in trouble if you decide to cancel your ticket. To get rid of that it is suggested to cancel your ticket in the next 24 hours. But, in case you haven’t canceled your ticket in the Risk-free period you will be charged a cancellation fee of $125.
The cancellation fee will be subtracted from the original ticket fare and the rest of the amount will be refunded in credit form which can be used to book your upcoming trips. You don’t have to bother about the cancellation fee if you are a member of MVP gold.
3. First-Class (Refundable):
Refundable tickets will safeguard your inner peace as this ticket allows you to cancel your ticket any time before the date of departure and you will not be charged any kind of cancellation fee and the refund will be done in the original payment mode within a week.
4. Award Ticket:
The cancellation of the Award ticket will work in the same way. The 24-hour cancellation policy comes into play if you want to save 125$ along with miles. Despite the terms, if you are a member of MVP gold then you can avoid the cancellation fee.
Alaska Airlines Cancellation Fees – Latest Fees
As of May 1, 2021, Alaska Airlines has permanently abolished the system of the cancellation fee. You are now free to cancel a flight without paying a penalty. However, the Alaska Airlines Cancellation Policy will apply. Although the refund will depend on the fare type, cancellation time, flight destination, etc.
Alaska Airlines Cancellations Fee
|Saver||Not allowed if you miss the 24-hour window|
|Same-day changes||$50 (It’s only $25 for flights within California)|
Can I Change My Alaska Airlines Booking?
Similar to the Alaska Airlines cancelation policy you can change your booking within 24 hours from the point of booking. The terms and conditions for canceling and changing are almost the same.
- To change your reservation you should have purchased your ticket directly from Alaska Airlines through their official website, at the Alaska Airlines ticket counter, or by directly making a call to Alaska Airlines reservations phone number which is 1 800-998-6716.
- If you are someone traveling inside the US, Canada, and Mexico then you can make changes.
- You should not have more than 8 segments
- According to the Alaska Airlines policy, your ticket is eligible to change only 13 months before the original ticket issue date.
- Your ticket is eligible only if it is not a part of any kind of package.
Alaska Airlines Change Flight Policy
If you want to change your flight, you can easily do so as the Alaska Airlines change flight policy is quite generous. If you have a lower cost or you want to change your flight on the same day, most of the flight changes are completely free. Generally, it is more convenient to change your flights online. You can adjust your reservation by using the booking modification link. You can visit the official website of the airlines to use your e-credit which you received after canceling your ticket to change your flight. You must use this credit within thirty to ninety days before it expires. Recently, they have removed the transition fee on First Class tickets so that you can easily change your flight.
How to Change or Manage Your Alaska Airlines Flight?
You can use the Manage Booking to change a flight online. Here’s how:
- First, visit the Alaska Airlines website.
- Then click on Manage and fill in your booking details such as:
- Confirmation code
- Passenger’s last name
- After that, look up your pre booked flight and click on it.
- Now, select Change Flight option and modify your itinerary as the policy.
- Lastly click on Proceed and pay the relevant fee and fare difference.
How do I Rebook Alaska Airlines Flight?
You can only rebook a cancelled or changed flight. Follow these steps:
- First, visit the official Alaska Airlines website.
- Then, log into your Mileage Plus account.
- Now select your cancelled flights.
- Then, click on Rebook Trip.
- After that make a new itinerary and once you are done, click on Rebook.
- Lastly, pay the change fee and fare difference if applicable.
Points to Remember Before Making Flight Rebooking
After you cancel your Alaska Airlines Flight, you can rebook your flight. There are no fees on Main Cabin and First Class fares for rebooking. This makes travel more flexible. You can use the credit you have from previously canceling your flight while rebooking a flight.
- A difference fare might be charged depending on the price of the flight you are rebooking.
- You can only receive travel credit if you cancel your reservation for a previous flight according to the no-show policy.
- You can rebook your flight on the same day in the check-in window. You will be charged around $25 to $50, but no difference in fare will be charged.
- You cannot rebook saver fares.
- You can only cancel saver fares within 24 hours of booking it.
Alaska Airlines Refund Policy:
- As per the Alaska Airlines refund policy, one can get a complete refund if they cancel their ticket within the next 24 hours from the point of booking, irrespective of their ticket type.
- A customer can also get a full refund if they book a refundable ticket.
- But, If a customer makes a reservation with any other type of ticket like nonrefundable and award then he/she will be charged an amount of $125 as a cancellation fee. However, this applies only to customers who canceled after 24 hours from the point of booking.
- After deducting the cancellation fee from the total amount the refund will be made with the rest of the amount in credit form, which you can use for your future flights.
Alaska Airlines Ticket Refund Eligibility:
There are certain things to keep in mind if you want to get a refund after canceling your Alaska Airlines ticket.
- In order to get a refund, you should have purchased your ticket directly from Alaska Airlines through their official website, at the Alaska Airlines ticket counter, or by directly making a reservation call to Alaska Airlines reservations phone number.
- If you purchased a saver ticket the chances of getting a refund will be narrowed down, you can get a refund only if you cancel your ticket within the grace period, once the clock ticks off you might have to forget the saver ticket
- According to the Alaska Airlines policy, your ticket is valid up to a year from the ticket issued date.
- Your ticket is eligible only if it is not a part of any kind of package.
- You cannot get a refund if you booked your ticket through a middle man.
- The ticket must be bought in the form of US dollar currency.
- If you have followed all the above criteria then your ticket is eligible for an Alaska Airlines refund.
- A complete refund will be done for a refundable ticket
How to Get a Refund on Alaska Airlines
If you want a refund on Alaska Airlines cancellations, there are a few criteria that need to be met:
- If you book a flight with cash, you can request a refund if:
- You cancelled a ticket during the risk-free period.
- Or if you purchased a refundable ticket.
- If you book a flight with Mileage Plan miles, then as long as you cancel it before flight departure, you can get a refund.
- Tickets can be cancelled online and offline.
- However, the ticket must have been purchased directly from Alaska Airlines.
- Saver fares can only be cancelled for a refund during the risk-free period.
- Government fares are not refundable.
- The ticket must not be more than one year from the date of original purchase.
- Partially used tickets won’t warrant a refund.
- Group booking or vacation booking are also illegible for a refund.
- The ticket must have been purchased via US dollars.
Now, here’s how you can cancel and request a refund online:
- First, visit the official Alaska Airlines website.
- Then, log into your Mileage Plus account.
- Now, click on Manage Booking look up all of your cancelled flights.
- After that, select the flight you want to get the refund on.
- Then, click on the Refund icon.
- Lastly, follow the on-screen instructions.
For offline Alaska Airlines cancel flight refunds, you can:
The Alaska airlines refund policy allows you to place refund requests offline by directly contacting customer support. Hence, you will be in contact with the team. You should contact the Alaska airlines team that is near your location. When you visit the official website of the airlines, you can easily find the contact number of the Alaska airlines team that is closest to your location. After contacting them, you can give them the important details related to your canceled ticket and apply for a refund. You would need to provide additional details about your tests and their results if you want a refund because of Covid-19.
- Find the helpline number of Alaska Airlines by checking the Contact Us page on its official website.
- Call the number to get in touch with an executive.
- Tell the executive about how you want a refund for your flight and give all the necessary details that they require.
- Wait until the executive confirms your refund request.
How to Track Your Alaska Airlines Refund Request
- It is very easy to check the status of a refund request. You can call the exclusive number 206-392-7722 anytime between 9 and 12 pm, and 1 pm to 4.30 pm on weekdays. After that provide the relevant details and ask for a status report.
- You can also email customer care at email@example.com.
The Ways to Know Whether I am Eligible or Not to Get a Refund from Alaska Airlines?
There are certain factors that you need to consider before requesting a refund. Irrespective of your ticket type and fare you can still get the refund if you cancel your ticket within 24 hours from the point of booking.
How Can I Get Compensation From Alaska Airlines?
Passengers can experience extreme discomfort when flights are canceled by the airlines. For this extreme trouble, Alaska Airlines provides compensation to its passengers if there is a flight cancellation. According to the Alaska Airlines cancellation policy, you will not receive compensation in every situation. The compensation laws are stated below:
- It is well known that Alaska Airlines is not European. However, EC 261 stipulates that European travelers should get compensation for a canceled flight. Alaska Airlines provides compensation for any flight that was scheduled to pass through any European airports if there are any last-minute cancellations.
- However, if the airline can provide an alternative flight, you will not receive any compensation.
- You can get up to $700 for a canceled flight in compensation.
- If the flight is canceled within 14 days from the scheduled date of departure, all the European passengers will receive compensation.
- You will receive the compensation through the same method you used to pay for the flight.
- If you have booked a refundable flight ticket, you will get the total amount as a refund.
- However, if you have booked a non-refundable ticket that gets canceled, you will get a credit of equal value which you can use to book future tickets.
- If the flight is delayed for three hours or more, you will receive compensation from the airlines.
Here’s how much you can get as compensation –
Alaska Airlines Flight Delayed & Cancelled Compensation
|Distance||Flight Type||Compensated Amount|
|Under 1500 Km||All flight||£250|
|More than 1500 Km||Internal EU flight||£400|
|Between 1500 and 3500 Km||Non-Internal EU flight||£400|
|Over 3500 Km||Non-Internal EU flight||£600|
Can I Use e-credits for My Trip?
After canceling your ticket you will get a notification that has a ticket number and the leftover refund amount, switch to your Alaska Airline Account and go to “my wallet” and type in your ticket number Your refund will be available in your e-wallet and you can use that for your future flights.
Conclusion: It is always nice to have a backup plan to get free from an unpredicted situation. So, know every single detail from canceling to getting a refund before packing your bags because One can only enjoy a great travel experience if they possess immense peace within.
Alaska Airlines Cancellations Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. How to Redeem Your Alaska Airlines Credit Certificate and Book a Flight?
Ans. Follow these steps:
- First, go to the official website.
- Then log into your account.
- After that, click on the cancelled flights and then select Claim Refund.
- You can get your Credit Certificate.
- Now, click on Rebook Trip.
- After that, create a new itinerary and on the check-out page choose Credit Certificate as the mode of payment.
- Lastly, enter the Certificate number to redeem it.
Q. How do I know if I am eligible for a refund from Alaska Airlines?
Ans. You have to fulfil the following criteria:
- The ticket was purchased from Alaska Airlines.
- It is a refundable ticket.
- Or you are cancelling within the risk-free 24-hour period.
- You can also claim refund if Alaska Airlines was the one to cancel the flight.
- Similarly, you can claim it in case of a flight delay.
Q. Does Alaska give credit for Cancelled flights?
Ans. Yes, Alaska Airlines can give you travel credit as refund if you cancel a non-refundable flight.
Q. Can you get your money back if you cancel your flight?
Ans. Yes, as per the Alaska Airlines policy, you can cancel a flight and claim a refund.
Q. Can you cancel your Alaska Airlines flight?
Ans. Yes, you can use the Manage Booking to cancel a flight.
Q. How late can you cancel a flight?
Ans. The latest you can cancel a flight for refund is24 hours before scheduled departure. However, you are free to cancel it anytime before departure, but then the refund will be gone.
Q. Are You Eligible for a Full Refund on Alaska Airlines?
Ans. Of course, you can claim a full refund on Alaska Airlines if you can cancel the ticket within the risk-free 24-hour period or use a refundable ticket.
Q. What will happen if I cancel my Alaska Airlines flight?
Ans. If you are the one to cancel a flight, then you may or may not get a refund as per the policy. But if the airline cancels your flight, you are sure to get one.
Q. What is the Alaska Airlines Cancel Policy for First Class fares?
Ans. As per the policy, First class fares are refundable and don’t have to pay a cancellation fee.
Q. How long will it take before I can get a refund on Alaska Airlines?
Ans. A refund for payments made via credit card can take 7 to 14 days. Other methods can be longer than 20 business days.
Q. Can I cancel my Alaska ticket for free?
Ans. Yes, Alaska Airlines has abolished the Cancellation fee system. Hence, no matter when you cancel a flight, you will be refunded.
Q. Is it possible to make changes to my Alaska Airlines booking?
Ans. Yes, Alaska Airlines permit flight changes once for free.
Q. Is Alaska Airlines canceling flights?
Ans. Alaska Airlines can cancel a flight when there are certain issues like bad weather, political instability, strikes, lack of pilots, bird hits, a pandemic etc.
Q. Can you cancel your Alaska Airlines flight and get a refund?
Ans. Yes!! By following the 24-hour cancellation policy you can easily cancel your ticket, but there is an exception for refundable ticket user as they can cancel anytime without facing any consequences
This does not applies to non-refundable ticket holder as they have pay 125$ if they cancel the ticket
Q, Is it possible to get a complete refund?
Ans. To get a complete refund you should either cancel your ticket in the next 24 hours or you should purchase a refundable ticket.
Q. Should I have to pay a penalty if I cancel my Alaska airline ticket?
Ans. You can avoid cancellation fee if you follow the Alaska Airlines 24-hour cancellation policy or you can also avoid the cancellation fee if you booked a refundable ticket as it allows you to cancel anytime before the day of departure
Q. Will Alaska Airlines waive the change fee?
Ans. It depends upon the type of class and fare you chose to fly. However, Alaska Airlines will waive the change fee if you made a change within 24 hours from the point of booking.
Q. How to skip the penalty if you cancel your Alaska Airlines ticket?
Ans. You can waive the cancellation fee by cancelling your ticket in the next 24 hour from the ticket purchase.
You can also avoid the cancellation fee if you booked a refundable ticket as it allows you to cancel anytime before the day of departure
Q. What happens if I cancel my Alaska flight?
Ans. You will get a ticket number right after canceling your ticket by adding this number to your e-wallet you can avail of the refund.
Get a refundable ticket or follow the 24-hour cancellation policy to get rid of the penalty.
Q. Is it ok if I cancel my ticket in the next 24 hours from the point of purchase?
Ans. Yes!! it is possible as per the 24-hour cancellation policy of Alaska Airlines.
Q. When do Alaska e-credits expire?
Ans. According to the Alaska Airlines policy, your ecredit is valid up to one year before the original ticket issue date.
Q. Does Alaska charge same-day cancellation fees?
Ans. Alaska Airlines charges an amount of $50 for the same-day changes for all kinds of tickets but if you are traveling with California you will be charged an amount of $25.