Coping up with flight updates like delays and cancellations can be nerve-racking. Especially, those late-minute unexpected Cancellations can be frustrating as you are unsure about the next step.
Don’t worry because we got you covered. Know how you can make the best use of your ticket by knowing all the benefits that the American Airlines Cancellation policy offers.
American Airlines Cancellation Process:
A step-by-step guide to cancel an American Airline ticket
- Firstly, log in to the website by entering your details.
- Select your flight you want to cancel and click “cancel booking”.
- Now a tab appears asking for cancel confirmation, once you click on “confirm cancel” your flight will be officially canceled.
- You will get an email that has a refund code and your ticket number. You should keep this email safe so that you rebook or use the value of the ticket for future flights.
American Airlines Cancellation Fee:
The Cancellation fee completely depends upon the type of ticket and destination that you booked.
- If you booked a basic economy ticket then you will not be permitted to cancel the ticket in the first place. However, you can cancel your ticket within 24 hours from the point of booking and get a refund.
- With a non-refundable ticket, the American airline charges a Cancellation fee of $ 200 for domestic flights and $ 750 for international flights.
- You can still avoid the Cancellation fee if you cancel your ticket within 24 hours from the point of booking.
- When it comes to a non-refundable ticket one cannot get a complete refund. The cancellation fee will be deducted from the total amount and the rest of the amount will be refunded in the form e credit which serves for your upcoming flights.
- For refundable tickets, the cancellation is easy as pie and cheap as chips. There is no Cancellation fee no matter when you cancel your ticket.
- You can get a complete refund in the original payment mode with a refundable ticket.
- Next comes the Award ticket, it is said that from the 11th of November 2020 American airlines eliminated all the Cancellation fees and redeposit fees.
American Airlines Cancellation Policy:
According to the American Airlines cancellation policy if you cancel your flight in the next 24 hours from the point of booking you will not be charged any cancellation fee. This policy applies to all kinds of tickets irrespective of fares.
But, if you cancel your ticket after this particular period then you have to pay a Cancellation fee.
American Airlines offers 4 different kinds of tickets and the Cancellation process depends upon the type of ticket you chose to fly with.
- Basic economy ticket
- Non-refundable ticket
- Refundable ticket
- Award ticket
1. Basic Economy Ticket:
Normally, you are not allowed to cancel a basic economy ticket booked on American Airline but, if you can cancel your ticket within 24 hours from the point of booking you can get a refund.
2. Non-Refundable Ticket:
The non-refundable ticket can be canceled with 24 hours from the point of booking to avoid the Cancellation fee however if you cancel after 24 hours then you will be charged a Cancellation fee depending upon the destination you choose to fly to and once you have canceled the Cancellation fee will be deducted from your total amount and unused part of your ticket will be refunded in the form of credit which you can use for your future flight.
3. Refundable Ticket:
Refundable tickets have always been the best option as they allow you to cancel your ticket whenever you need and you can get a full refund in the original mode of payment.
4. Award Ticket:
As of Award tickets, American Airlines have removed all cancel and redeposit fees from November 11, 2020.
If you are wondering how to cancel your ticket, here is a step by step guide that helps you cancel your ticket effortlessly.
American Airlines Policy 24 Hours:
As per the American Airlines 24 hour policy if anyone cancels their ticket by the next 24 hours from the point of booking they will get the complete refund in the original payment method irrespective of class and fare they chose to fly.
This policy is applicable even for a basic economy ticket and the amount will be refunded to your account within 7-10 business days.
However, after the compilation of the risk-free period, you will be charged a cancellation fee depending upon the class and fare of your ticket.
American Airlines Cancellation Policy – Covid:
Coronavirus knocked down many travel dreams as we all were utterly unaware of this extreme level of isolation and there is just too much on our plate right now, to get a handle on this situation American Airlines planned and established some rules that saved many travelers from panicking.
- They waived the charge fees for all the currently existing and new tickets till September 30, 2020
- So next time when you are booking a ticket you might notice different prices on the given ticket.
- This offer also allows you to change your destination.
- If you decided to rebook your ticket then you should complete your journey by December 31, 2021
- If you happened to own an American airline ticket that was experienced before 31 September of 2020 then you can use the value of that ticket for booking a future ticket within December 31, 2021.
- By keeping the pandemic breakdown in mind American airlines put efforts to lighten the road it also allows the passenger to change their flights once by waiving the charges.
- You can simply change the ticket by making a call directly to the airlines.
American Airlines Cancellation Policy Miles:
American Airlines promises to restrain your miles if you cancel in flight. If you are not in the mood for traveling then American airlines will restrain your miles for one year from the date of ticket purchased. You won’t be charged any fee to restrain your miles.
American Airlines Cancellation Phone Number:
American Airlines made ticket cancellation easier than ever as you can contact their customer services to help you in canceling your ticket. To know everything about American Airline policy make a call to +1-800-548-3192 they offer a wide range of services from booking to cancelling your ticket at the last moment. They provide services 24/7 to help you irrespective of the time limit.
Know the compensation that you can get if American Airlines cancel your ticket:
Generally, flights don’t change or cancel unless there is a strong reason like weather changes and if the crew is facing some technical issues. However, American Airlines takes full responsibility if they cancel or change a flight.
- The compensation remains the same for both domestic and international flights.
- The compensation depends upon two key factors one being the number of hours delayed while the other is the number of miles.
- American Airlines offers compensation of USD 275 if the flight distance is less than 900 miles and delays last for three or more than three hours.
- American Airlines offers compensation of USD 450 if the flight distance is 900-2100 miles and delays last for three or more than three hours. American Airlines offers compensation of USD 650 if the flight distance is more than 2100 miles and delays last for three or more than three hours.
Conclusion: If 2020 taught us anything that would be probably being ahead of time and ready to face any kind of situation. Having a clear idea about how things work will give a lot of peace to the soul and the chances of getting lost will be narrowed down. So if you are someone who recently booked a ticket in American Airlines this article will help you in answering all your questions about canceling and how to get the most out of the ticket.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How can I cancel my American Airlines flight?
You can easily cancel your American airline’s flight but by visiting their official website and login in with your details and go to “my trip” and a tab will appear asking for your name and six-digit reference booking number. After entering all your details you can continue by clicking on “cancel my booking”. American Airlines will ask you to confirm your Cancellation after you confirm your Cancellation American Airlines will send you a mail that has details related to the refund.
2. How much cancellation fee should you pay if you cancel your ticket?
It depends upon the kinds of class and fare you chose to fly. But, you can avoid the cancellation fee by canceling your ticket 24 hours from the point of booking. The 24-hour American airline’s cancellation policy applies for all kinds of tickets including basic economy tickets.
But if you want to cancel your ticket after 24 hours from the point of booking then you will be charged a Cancellation fee.
If you booked a basic economy ticket then you cannot cancel your ticket after 24 hours from the point of booking.
If you booked a non-refundable ticket then you will be charged around $200 to $750 depending upon domestic or international flight.
You will not be charged any Cancellation fee if you booked a refundable ticket and the refund is also done in the original form of payment.
3. Can I get a Refund on my American Airlines Flight?
You can get a refund if you booked a refundable ticket but if you booked a non-refundable ticket then you have to pay a certain amount as a Cancellation fee and the rest of the amount will be refunded in the form of credit that you use for your future flights.
4. If I cancel my American Airlines ticket, Can I get a refund?
You can get your money back if you bought a refundable ticket but if you happened to book any other kind of ticket you might have to pay a Cancellation amount and the left will be refunded in the form of credit.
However, if you cancel your ticket in the next 24 hours from the point of Cancellation then you can get your refund in the original payment mode.
5. What happens if I cancel a non-refundable flight on American Airlines?
As per the 24-hour cancellation policy, one can get a refund without paying any cancellation fee. This policy is also applicable to non-refundable tickets. But, if you cancel the ticket after 24 hours then you have to pay a Cancellation fee, and the rest of the amount after getting deducted will be refunded in the form of credit.
6. What are the ways to reschedule my flight?
You can rebook your ticket anytime but to rebook your flight. Firstly, you have to go through the Cancellation process and book a new flight.
7. Is it cheaper to cancel or change my American Airlines flight?
The charges of both Cancellation and flight change of American Airlines are almost the same. So you can pick anything that suits your situation.