American Airlines allows passengers to alter their tickets before departure. And this customization also covers name changes due to misspellings or other issues.
American Airlines Name Change Fee
American Airlines name correction is only possible for basic corrections to the itinerary. Although such charges are limited to minute rectifications, it is compulsory. And if the airline deems it fit, it can add another surcharge. A major change if allowed can cost passengers $200 for domestic flights and $700 for international flights. However, it is under the condition that such changes are not made within the 24 hours grace period.
Can I change the name on my American Airlines reservation?
AA Manage Booking is the customization of a pre-booked flight. Hence, when we talk about the American Airlines Name Change policy, we have to understand that Manage Booking on AA can help users with their name change on American Airlines flights. Thus, one of the many methods to change the name on an AA ticket is to rely on Manage My Booking.
American Airlines Name Change Online via Website
The very first approach is to use the official AA website to handle any changes. The tried and tested method is well known and recommended. It is easy, convenient, and doesn’t take up a lot of time. All the user has to do is follow the prescribed method:
- First, go to the official AA website.
- After that, you have two distinct choices.
- First, let us explain the login method:
- If you are a member of the AAdvantage program, use your credentials to log in.
- You will need your AAdvantage Number or Username,
- Then you will need the user’s last name and password.
- Using the above information, successfully log in to your AAdvantage account.
- Then click on Manage Trip.
- It will show your upcoming trips.
- Now select the pre-booked flight where a name change is necessary.
- Then click on Edit and change the name.
- After you’re done, click on Continue to confirm your latest information.
- If fees apply, you have to pay.
- Or, if you do not want to log in, then continue as a guest.
- Then click on the My Trips tab.
- Here you have to provide some information pertaining to the flight. Such as:
- Booking reference
- Or Confirmation code/Record locator
- Or ticket number and
- Passenger’s Last and First name
- Then click on Find your trip.
- Your pre-booked flight will be shown on the next page.
- Click on it to edict changes.
- After that, click on Edit information and correct your mistakes.
- Lastly, submit your new information and click on Continue. A change name fee will apply as per American Airways Name Change policy.
American Airlines name change through mobile app
The airline has also developed mobile apps for further convenience. It is also a mode of online booking. Thus, use the apps to change the name on AA flights. The airline has both Android and iOS apps.
- First, go to the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.
- After that, search for the app. Then download it.
- Then go to your home screen to launch the app.
- Now you can either log in or continue as a guest.
- If you forgo logging in, then keep this information ready;
- Passenger’s Last and First name.
- Booking reference/confirmation code/Record locator/Ticket number
- Once you have located your pre-booked flight, click it to make changes.
- Click on Edit and correct your information record.
- Then click on continue to proceed with payment, as a name change fee will apply.
American Airlines Change Name on Ticket Via the Airport
You can also make changes to your name offline. Visit the American Airlines ticket counter at the airport and queue up in the full-service line. Then tell the AA representative about the issue regarding your name change. Although it takes some time and effort, it is also a reliable method to change the name on an American Airlines ticket.
American Airlines Name Change Phone Number
Lastly, you can contact AA customer care over a phone call to ask for their assistance in your name change. The service is available 24/7, and the representatives are all helpful. All you need to do is get the AA customer care number from the website, and after making the phone call, follow the on-call instructions. Once you reach the agent, inform him of your query for timely assistance. American Airlines change name on tickets thus done over a phone call.
American Airlines Name Change Policy
The American Airlines Name Change policy is rather straightforward. It has divided the issue into two distinct sub-divisions to effortlessly tackle any scenarios. The divisions are:
- Ticket Name change – The airline strictly forbids a full name change on all ticket types. Doing so is like gifting your ticket to someone else, and it can cause a severe change in fares, which will result in a loss of profit. However, due to the changes made to the policy owing to or during Covid, passengers can now do so.
- Ticket Name correction – While the airline is too strict on a full name change, it certainly allows some minor or major corrections, according to the guidelines.
Thus, the American Airlines name change also includes a few other guidelines, such as:
- Any corrections made within 24 hours of initial booking are free of cost.
- Users can make corrections 2 hours prior to the scheduled departure against the name change fee.
- Corrections done before 07 days or more from departure and yet after 24 hours of booking will be allowed.
- And the American Airlines cost to change name on ticket is only a service charge of $25.
- Minor and major mistakes can be corrected, only if the carrier issuing the ticket and the one you are riding will be the same.
- Always make sure that the name on the Visa fits the name on the ticket.
- American Airlines change passenger name states that changes on the Last name are limited to 3 characters or fewer.
- A legal name change is allowed.
- You can also attach an extra Last name.
- A shift in the first name is possible.
- You can also switch the first and last names on a ticket.
- There is a mandatory processing fee on top of the name change fee. It is $25.
- The name change can be done via several means.
Change Name on American Airlines Ticket For Minor Corrections
All passengers have a right to make amends to their tickets. These amendments, however are limited to minor or major spelling corrections. Also, minor mistakes and corrections are allowed only on American Airlines and American Eagle flights. Furthermore, those itineraries marked with the initial R inventory are only eligible for major name change guidelines. Hence, American Airlines changing name on ticket is feasible.
Change Name on American Airlines Flight For Major Corrections
Any major American Airlines name change require a new PNR. Those tickets with initial R inventory have to codeshare flight segments on American Airlines because the older PNR system can’t make such changes due to software limitations.
American Airlines Change Name on Ticket Due to Marriage/Divorce
Marriage and divorce are among the few legal considerations that allow for a full name change. The American Airlines Name change policy allows passengers to modify their last name in case of marriage or divorce, but they have to present supporting legal documentation.
American Airlines Name Change Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. Yes, AA allows name change 2 hours prior to a flight.
Ans. You can use the American Airlines Manage Booking to change your name online or contact AA customer care for offline assistance.
Ans. Last name changes are much restricted. However, under legal considerations, you can change your last name by providing supporting documents.
Ans. Name correction is rectifying any spelling mistakes, but the name change is using a new name altogether.
Ans. No, it is against the airline’s policy to transfer tickets.
Ans. Use the Manage Booking service on American Airlines to edit your ticket.
Ans. Go to the AA website and log in to your AAdvantage account. Then customize your trip and edict said changes.